• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name Change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michael_Nomen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

My girlfriend is a recent divorcee and is experiencing problems with getting her various service providing creditors to officially change her name on her correspondence and records. Her mortage still arrives every month in her former name even after the company received notice of the legal change back to her maiden name. Many other bills come unpredictably every month in that former name much to her consternation. I feel helpless because I am not her husband, and, given her previous marriage's kind of ending, she is reluctant to marry again in the near future. I want to find out if I can sue or bring action against any one of these companies as a party affected by their non-compliance with her wishes. Or at least if I had some legal term to use as AMmo I might be able to shake some sense into someone. I remember reading somewhere about the existence of a kind of suit where a party interested can act as plaintiff, even though they are not the person directly injured. My girlfriend would be the better if she did this herself, but for other reasons I cannot specify she is not ready to do this and has asked for help.

Frustrated

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

My girlfriend is a recent divorcee and is experiencing problems with getting her various service providing creditors to officially change her name on her correspondence and records. Her mortage still arrives every month in her former name even after the company received notice of the legal change back to her maiden name. Many other bills come unpredictably every month in that former name much to her consternation. I feel helpless because I am not her husband, and, given her previous marriage's kind of ending, she is reluctant to marry again in the near future. I want to find out if I can sue or bring action against any one of these companies as a party affected by their non-compliance with her wishes. Or at least if I had some legal term to use as AMmo I might be able to shake some sense into someone. I remember reading somewhere about the existence of a kind of suit where a party interested can act as plaintiff, even though they are not the person directly injured. My girlfriend would be the better if she did this herself, but for other reasons I cannot specify she is not ready to do this and has asked for help.

Frustrated
You can't be serious... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">