• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name change question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bleachedsleet

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I didn't know where else to place this question, so I apologize if this is the wrong section.

I have a felony conviction for a non-violent fraud related crime and I will be finishing up probation at the end of this year. However, I was wondering if it would be possible in the future to change my name? This isn't for any reason related to my felony and I'm not trying to avoid anything. I fully understand my names would be linked on a background check and this would provide no real world anonymity. That is not the point. This is a personal reason only as I believe that traditional names are an outmoded methodology of relating individuals to race, religion, and region. I would like to take a new name at some point because of this. Obviously, I have no idea if I can or not. Is this possible?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I didn't know where else to place this question, so I apologize if this is the wrong section.

I have a felony conviction for a non-violent fraud related crime and I will be finishing up probation at the end of this year. However, I was wondering if it would be possible in the future to change my name? This isn't for any reason related to my felony and I'm not trying to avoid anything. I fully understand my names would be linked on a background check and this would provide no real world anonymity. That is not the point. This is a personal reason only as I believe that traditional names are an outmoded methodology of relating individuals to race, religion, and region. I would like to take a new name at some point because of this. Obviously, I have no idea if I can or not. Is this possible?
No, it appears that you will not be able to change your name. From the second link provided below, which links to Colorado's law on name changes (CRS §13-15-101): "The court shall not grant a petition for a name change if the court finds the petitioner was previously convicted of a felony ..."

Here is a link to The Colorado Law Project, Sturm College of Law, with information on changing a name:
https://www.law.du.edu/index.php/the-colorado-law-project/how-do-i/change-my-name

And here is a link to Colorado's "Name Change" law (CRS §13-15-101), which indicates you do not qualify for a name change under the law:
http://www.namechangelaw.com/states/co/colorado.htm

You could discuss your desire to change your name with an attorney in your area to see if there are any exceptions allowed under the law, but I doubt that your stated reasons for wanting a name change would be covered even if there are exceptions.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">