• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nasty neighbors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Angal

Bought a townhouse in VA about 3-4 months ago. New young neighbor parks very loud vehicle with muffler beside my house and revs engine every morning between 5-6every morning. I lose sleep and get terrible migraines from this. I asked him to move his car further down the culdasak. Three days later my husband went out to speak to him. He let another neighbor take turns revving the vehicle up and down the street, blaring music etc. The other neighbor cursed at us and threatened to punch my husband in the face and told me to "call the f*cking police!". They continue revving the engine at random times.

Not sure what to do but I am frightened. Police are no help.

quincy

Bought a townhouse in VA about 3-4 months ago. New young neighbor parks very loud vehicle with muffler beside my house and revs engine every morning between 5-6every morning. I lose sleep and get terrible migraines from this. I asked him to move his car further down the culdasak. Three days later my husband went out to speak to him. He let another neighbor take turns revving the vehicle up and down the street, blaring music etc. The other neighbor cursed at us and threatened to punch my husband in the face and told me to "call the f*cking police!". They continue revving the engine at random times.

Not sure what to do but I am frightened. Police are no help.
You can check your city's noise ordinance to see if the new young neighbor is violating the law with his loud vehicle. If the young fellow is not violating any law, the police can do little. Ear plugs and a lot of tolerance might work until the young neighbor grows up, buys a new car and/or moves away.

Good luck.

Angal

He is. The noise ordinance is in effect from 8pm-7am. Now he has another neighbor joining currently at 9pm with bass music, etc.

The verbal threats are what have escalated my nerves. The police can't/won't do anything unless they directly observe any of the disturbances.

quincy

He is. The noise ordinance is in effect from 8pm-7am. Now he has another neighbor joining currently at 9pm with bass music, etc.

The verbal threats are what have escalated my nerves. The police can't/won't do anything unless they directly observe any of the disturbances.
It appears that the neighbor now knows how bothered you are by the noise and is taking some joy in irritating you more. That is a very "young" thing to do. He might eventually grow up.

You can keep calling the police whenever the neighbor violates the noise ordinance and eventually the police will be around for the disturbance. Not that having the police ticket the fellow for violating a noise ordinance is necessarily going to solve your problem with the neighbor. It could create more, possibly different, problems.

I understand how disturbing and annoying loud music and loud cars can be. Sometimes earplugs can be the best (easiest, cheapest) solution.

Good luck.

commentator

Voice of experience here. You can't make people be quiet. You will waste hours and peace and lots and lots of mental energy. They will work hard at making sure they stay loud. It will escalate. Black out curtains and good earplugs are going to work better than any threats, lawsuits, etc. Young people do relocate frequently. They grow up and move away. The police can only do so much if they do get involved. Especially if he has enlisted other neighbors to help, your best recourse is to back way out of the situation and try to let them get out of the mood to fight you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">