• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NC Boyfriend/Girlfriend split

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HeplerNC

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I recently split up with my girlfriend of 5 years and kicked her out the house. I am the primary on a car loan but the car is titled in her name. Do I have any rights to ownership or value in the car? We have a bedroom set that I kept which she maintains is hers. Has a receiot but we both paid for. Who has ownership? I bought a computer she claims I gave to her as a gift but it was bought for her to use while in school/nursing-she dropped out and the computer was also for me to use for work. Who has ownership rights? And we had a dog that was like one of my kids that she took with her. It has been an emotional strain on me. Do I have any rights to the dog or any value from this loss? Furthermore, just 2 days prior to leaving she barrowed $500 from my father that hasn't been repaid. She promised it in a week that has come and gone. What should we do? This is my first post or being in any kind of position like this

Rexlan

Car is hers and the loan is yours ... smart move.

Bedroom set is hers if she has the documents to prove it ... another smart move. No documenets ... it is yours.

Computer is yours and she can go pound sand if she claims otherwise.

Forget the dog ... you got the best of the deal. Just pray she doesn't go for "dog support".

Seems to run in the family ... dad is screwed and will need to take her to small claims ... assuming he can document that he gave her the $500. He said, she said won't cut it. My bet is he gave her the $$ and he can kiss it good by ... that is how it will be told by her.

Spendy lesson and the car is your biggest issue. You will need to service the loan or your, not hers, credit will take the hit. You can try a small claims action which may intimidate her and get her to sell it but that is just a shot in the dark. If she has title it is legally her car.

Good luck.

Just Blue

Bedroom set is hers if she has the documents to prove it ... another smart move. No documenets ... it is yours.

Forget the dog ... you got the best of the deal. Just pray she doesn't go for "dog support".

Seems to run in the family ... dad is screwed and will need to take her to small claims ... assuming he can document that he gave her the $500. He said, she said won't cut it. My bet is he gave her the $$ and he can kiss it good by ... that is how it will be told by her.

Spendy lesson and the car is your biggest issue. You will need to service the loan or your, not hers, credit will take the hit. You can try a small claims action which may intimidate her and get her to sell it but that is just a shot in the dark. If she has title it is legally her car.

Good luck.
Just to add to the above excellent post...I had to wonder at someone that states a dog;
that was like one of my kids
. I now know. I also NOW wonder at the cause of the break-up and OP "agenda"

HeplerNC
Junior Member Join Date: Dec 2010

Suspended License other offenses trying to put behind me

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I have been trying to put a DWLR behind me for over a year now. I went through a nasty divorce and let a cpl of unpaid traffic violations go unpaid resulting in my license being suspended/revoked. AS a result of the divorce and loss of revenue a kept puting the issue off. Igot stopped several times resulting in DWLR charges and then was finally arrested. I posted bond an paid a lawyer to handle the issue in 2 counties. I had several failure to appears at this time due to lack of transportaion etc. Long and short of it my lawyer took care of the issue however failing to do 3 recalls when we went to court leaving me in the same situation cause he wanted more money to call on the docket. I was stopped again and served 37 days in county jail getting time served. However, 1 county for the same charge with cpl other minor charges had not been satified due to lack of monies. And there has been warrant for my arrest in that county. Someone called on me and I was picked up and arrested. When I posted bond another warrant showed up in the county my lawyer said previously handled sor same thing, DWLR and speeding. Another failed responsibilty as it turns out by my atouney. As it stands now I have 2 court dates and am out on bond. I can't afford a lawyer and am worried about getting jail time. I have anew job, am trying to put this behind me and if money wasn't an issue woud have by now. What advise does anyone have. I have court on Jan 6th in one county and the 10th in the other. I want to just plead guilty and ask the courts mercy for my job and family responsibilities. And wan to get legal again. As really the last 3 years have been a low point of my life. What should I do?

HeplerNC

I caught he wer man. We tried to get past it and I co't to listen to her lies. And just the nite before I kicke her out I was laying with her making love to her as the whole nite she had confessed her wrongs, him as a mistake, US is what she wanted and didn't want to lose. The nxt nite I found her there again. That's he reason for the break up. And now that I am outside looking in, ALL my other issues i my life have been because of her. Problem is, I actually loe the woman.

Good luck.

HeplerNC

[Sorry for the typos! I was a little st back at one of the qoutes. And yes the dog was like one of my kids, very close to the animal. Maye many of you have not been there before. Anyway, I would appreciate any and all other valid inputs. ThanksQUOTE=HeplerNC;2716303]I caught he wer man. We tried to get past it and I co't to listen to her lies. And just the nite before I kicke her out I was laying with her making love to her as the whole nite she had confessed her wrongs, him as a mistake, US is what she wanted and didn't want to lose. The nxt nite I found her there again. That's he reason for the break up. And now that I am outside looking in, ALL my other issues i my life have been because of her. Problem is, I actually loe the woman.[/QUOTE]

HeplerNC

[Anyone with any legal advise or other tactics I might use? The car is already late 21 days for Dec. It's been up fro repo 3 times and as much I am trying to be fair with the woman on the property she refuses to discuss the matter yet cries bout it that the bedroom and computer is hers. And I must admitt, for her actions I'd like her to suffer a bit thru the process. All be it a legal one. I actually had a lawyer in passing tell me that I cold pursue ownership of the car but do not know how true this is. That I could include in small claims the loss of the dog and claim ownership of it or the emotional loss of the dog. And that the furniture and computer would be up for debate to prove ownership be solely mine, her's or joint. Thank youQUOTE=Hot Topic;2716365]This isn't Dr. Phil's forum. The dog is property, not a child, not a relation.[/QUOTE]

A reasonable person may conclude that all you have given her were gifts. And your father likely sees his 500 bucks as gone. The car is hers & that bill is yours; if you stop paying then they'll repo the car...clearly she does not want to change the payments eh? The dog??? Who cares...its just a dog. Fight for it if you wish .. small claims court bound you are. Ask for everything, maybe you'll get something...the court likely would order her to transfer the car loan to her...but also you to get the bills to it current prior to that time. File quickly .. if the car gets repo-ed the judge wont like that

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">