• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice about disputing ownership of a dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

adays

Washington state.

Hello all, I have a question I would like advice about.

The story starts a few months ago, when we purchased a dog from a woman named Wendy. Our transaction was made in cash, with no receipt, the only proof we have of ownership are emails back and forth agreeing on the transaction and amount, as well as witnesses of the ownership transfer to our posession. We have always maintained friendly contact with Wendy, and they would come to visit from time to time.

Then we come to Thanksgiving day.. A situation developed, and the dog snapped at our infant son, at which point we contacted Wendy who was in Idaho to see if she could come take the dog for a period of time, as we were in a high emotional state. She could not come get the dog as she was in Idaho at the time, however, she contacted a friend of hers named Melissa who agreed to come and get the dog for a period of time. Awaiting her arrival we leashed the dog to the steering wheel of a jeep, because we didn't want him in the house at the time, due to the heightened emotional state the entire family was in. Upon her arrival we gave her the dog, with the understanding that we would be in touch with her, as we needed to make a decision on whether or not to keep the dog.

She took the dog and was friendly and cordial at the time. We had a long family discussion and finally decided to keep the dog. On Sunday we attempted to contact Melissa to retrieve the dog via phone calls. She has refused to answer. We have attempted to contact her every day since, to no avail. We also contacted Wendy (the previous owner), and finally heard back from her, to which she replied that Melissa is not answering her phone calls either and stated that she spoke with Melissa the night she came and got the dog that Melissa didn't feel that it would be in the dog's best interests to come back to us, as she feels the dog was abused by being leashed to the steering wheel.

We want our dog back, and Melissa will not answer our calls. We have not had any contact with Melissa, and Wendy has been unhelpful in getting us any information. Now we don't have Melissa's or Wendy's address, nor either of their last names, only their phone numbers.

I would like to know what recourse I have regarding this matter to file a suit against one or both of them to retrieve our dog back.. Is this possible?

stevek3

adays said:
Washington state.

Hello all, I have a question I would like advice about.

The story starts a few months ago, when we purchased a dog from a woman named Wendy. Our transaction was made in cash, with no receipt, the only proof we have of ownership are emails back and forth agreeing on the transaction and amount, as well as witnesses of the ownership transfer to our posession. We have always maintained friendly contact with Wendy, and they would come to visit from time to time.

Then we come to Thanksgiving day.. A situation developed, and the dog snapped at our infant son, at which point we contacted Wendy who was in Idaho to see if she could come take the dog for a period of time, as we were in a high emotional state. She could not come get the dog as she was in Idaho at the time, however, she contacted a friend of hers named Melissa who agreed to come and get the dog for a period of time. Awaiting her arrival we leashed the dog to the steering wheel of a jeep, because we didn't want him in the house at the time, due to the heightened emotional state the entire family was in. Upon her arrival we gave her the dog, with the understanding that we would be in touch with her, as we needed to make a decision on whether or not to keep the dog.

She took the dog and was friendly and cordial at the time. We had a long family discussion and finally decided to keep the dog. On Sunday we attempted to contact Melissa to retrieve the dog via phone calls. She has refused to answer. We have attempted to contact her every day since, to no avail. We also contacted Wendy (the previous owner), and finally heard back from her, to which she replied that Melissa is not answering her phone calls either and stated that she spoke with Melissa the night she came and got the dog that Melissa didn't feel that it would be in the dog's best interests to come back to us, as she feels the dog was abused by being leashed to the steering wheel.

We want our dog back, and Melissa will not answer our calls. We have not had any contact with Melissa, and Wendy has been unhelpful in getting us any information. Now we don't have Melissa's or Wendy's address, nor either of their last names, only their phone numbers.

I would like to know what recourse I have regarding this matter to file a suit against one or both of them to retrieve our dog back.. Is this possible?
It's a shame that dogs can't draft a complaint against their people. When they try, their paws hit half the keys on the keyboard.

Talk about receiving mixed signals. The dog tries to turn your son into a set of involuntary twins; you torture the poor dumb guy by hooking him to a freakin' steering wheel; you then give him away; and now, you want him back.

Looks like you're out a few bucks. Now the dog won't have to worry about his very poor typing skills.

K

KSTREGE

Most states regard dogs as property and you would be able to sue for the actual value of the dog (the amount you paid) or to get the dog returned. The bigger question here is why would you want a dog back that may cause harm to your infant son? You need to think through the emotion of having lost this dog. There is obviously a problem with the dog and your son that could very potentially happen again and cause serious harm to your son. Melissa may be keeping the dog from you in an attempt to keep herself (or her friend) from being sued when the dog harms your son. I have worked with many dogs and my advice to you would be to forget about that dog. I know that may be hard emotionally but it is best for your son and your family. Research the different breeds of dogs to find out what would be the best match for your family. The AKC website is a good resource for this. Search the web for your local dog rescue groups and adopt from them. They typically have the rescued dogs in foster care long enough to know if they will be ok with small children or not. Melissa did you a favor by getting this dog out of your house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">