• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice on jewelry theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cxp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

A family member recently had some jewelry stolen from his house. He suspected that a "friend" stole the jewelry, confronted him, and he confessed. The jewelry was sold to a local "Cash for Gold" store earlier that week. (I don't have exact dates, but this all happened within a week.) The confession was verbal but was later followed up with several text messages clearly stating that jewelry was stolen and sold to a specific "Cash for Gold" store. The text messages were detailed.

The "Cash for Gold" store has records of the sale but is not providing any help.

My family member reported the theft to the local police department. A detective is working on the case. He has not contacted the detective for an update. ("let him do his job")

I advised my family member to do the following:
- don't talk to the suspected "friend" or anyone else about this case (other than police)
- don't respond to any text messages from the suspected "friend"
- send screenshots of all text messages to me for backup, just in case, however I assume that there would be a record of these messages from wireless providers

Questions:
- How would we file civil charges against the "friend" to recover damages? (assume ring is not recovered)
- Do we wait until criminal case is completed? (no criminal charges have been filed currently, not sure what will happen)
- Any advice on criminal charges are appreciated too!

Thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

A family member recently had some jewelry stolen from his house. He suspected that a "friend" stole the jewelry, confronted him, and he confessed. The jewelry was sold to a local "Cash for Gold" store earlier that week. (I don't have exact dates, but this all happened within a week.) The confession was verbal but was later followed up with several text messages clearly stating that jewelry was stolen and sold to a specific "Cash for Gold" store. The text messages were detailed.

The "Cash for Gold" store has records of the sale but is not providing any help.

My family member reported the theft to the local police department. A detective is working on the case. He has not contacted the detective for an update. ("let him do his job")

I advised my family member to do the following:
- don't talk to the suspected "friend" or anyone else about this case (other than police)
- don't respond to any text messages from the suspected "friend"
- send screenshots of all text messages to me for backup, just in case, however I assume that there would be a record of these messages from wireless providers

Questions:
- How would we file civil charges against the "friend" to recover damages? (assume ring is not recovered)
- Do we wait until criminal case is completed? (no criminal charges have been filed currently, not sure what will happen)
- Any advice on criminal charges are appreciated too!

Thanks!
"We" don't do anything.

Your friend should keep in touch with the police. It will likely be easier to recover the jewelry with their help.

cxp

"We" don't do anything.

Your friend should keep in touch with the police. It will likely be easier to recover the jewelry with their help.
Just to be clear -- the jewelry was stolen from one of my family members from his house. ("we" = my family member in the original post) He suspects that the jewelry was stolen by one of his friends. (hence the quotes around friend) I don't know anyone involved other than my family member.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Just to be clear -- the jewelry was stolen from one of my family members from his house. ("we" = my family member in the original post) He suspects that the jewelry was stolen by one of his friends. (hence the quotes around friend) I don't know anyone involved other than my family member.
You were clear. The only one that has any sort of case is the one that the jewelry belonged to.

swalsh411

Unless the person who the jewelry belong to is incapable of handling his or her own affairs, your meddling isn't doing them any favors. If charges are filed and there is a plea deal or conviction it will likely include restitution.

cxp

I appreciate the advice to keep out of it, but I already know this. I am not asking for advice for me. I have nothing to do with this issue other than being related to the victim and being technologically savvy.

I am requesting advice for a close family member who is extremely non-technical and does not understand how to go online, find a legal advice forum, and ask for help themselves. (They don't even understand how to check their email.) I hoped that I would receive some relevant advice for them, print it out, and hand it over to them.

If you are not comfortable providing advice, I understand, but there are people out there who just don't know how to do anything with a computer. (Seriously.)

I suppose it would have been easier if I wrote my initial post from their perspective.

argue4u

What county are you in? Was the property sold or melted down? If you were to sue, would the friend have the money to pay the value of the property stolen?

argue4u

This may help you understand how things supposedly work in Philly/PA.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/crime/regulating-the-gold-rush/article_fcc141ba-8165-5c82-97dc-5b007199b4b5.html?TNNoMobile

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">