• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need advice please-

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

advice please!

:confused: What is the name of your state? Florida
Okay - a few years back I was involved in a serious relationship and this gentlemen gave me a credit card (in his name) to use for whatever purpose I chose. During the course of this time his businesses were failing to produce the revenue he expected. As I have tremendous experience in sales we worked out a verbal arrangement that I would offer sales training/presentations, promotions, advice, support, etc...to his employees and himself on a daily basis. An agreement which I whole-heartedly fulfilled- In exchange, as he couldn't afford to pay me from his payroll - he would cover any bills that I would have been able to pay, had he paid me as an employee. Therefore, he basically covered bills and expenses through cash that he gave me out of his pocket OR purchases made on this credit card, with his permission. Over the past few years, as his businesses continue to decline, he will periodically harass, threaten and pursue my making monthly payments to give this money back to him - now claiming it was all a "loan". Obviously that wasn't the case - at one point he persisted in calling me on my cell phone several times a day (a cell phone which I was not supposed to use at work - but did) and harassing and cursing and threatening me to sign a promissory note agreeing to pay back some of the money on a monthly payment system. I stupidly kept taking his calls in an attempt to rectify this issue, reminding him that this was NOT the original agreement. I was about to lose my job - due to all the time this was taking and his threats were such that I took them very seriously. I was scared ... and like an idiot, I finally signed the paper to shut him up and continue to work and live in peace. I was terrified by his threats and at the time, as dumb as it sounds - if it would shut him up and I could feel safe again - I would've done just about anything. Needless to say, I will not make payments on this agreement as I worked EXTREMELY hard for him and his business and I feel quite certain that we are "even". Never the less, he is now telling me that he will take me to court because I DID sign the promissory note and I will pay court costs in addition to the amount he wants paid. Here's the question...I just spoke with an attorney who told me that because I signed the "note", it would be an up-hill battle for me to attempt to win in court. He suggested I file Bankruptcy - but I filed years ago during a bitter divorce. Yes, I already know how stupid I was in signing that promissory note - but in lieu of "getting my ass kicked", as this guy promised to do, (I'm a single Mom with a young son living with me, safety was a major factor in my decision making process) - at the time it seemed like a quick fix. Now what the heck do I do? File Bankruptcy again to get him off my back? Help!

stevek3

advice please! said:
:confused: What is the name of your state? Florida
Okay - a few years back I was involved in a serious relationship and this gentlemen gave me a credit card (in his name) to use for whatever purpose I chose. During the course of this time his businesses were failing to produce the revenue he expected. As I have tremendous experience in sales we worked out a verbal arrangement that I would offer sales training/presentations, promotions, advice, support, etc...to his employees and himself on a daily basis. An agreement which I whole-heartedly fulfilled- In exchange, as he couldn't afford to pay me from his payroll - he would cover any bills that I would have been able to pay, had he paid me as an employee. Therefore, he basically covered bills and expenses through cash that he gave me out of his pocket OR purchases made on this credit card, with his permission. Over the past few years, as his businesses continue to decline, he will periodically harass, threaten and pursue my making monthly payments to give this money back to him - now claiming it was all a "loan". Obviously that wasn't the case - at one point he persisted in calling me on my cell phone several times a day (a cell phone which I was not supposed to use at work - but did) and harassing and cursing and threatening me to sign a promissory note agreeing to pay back some of the money on a monthly payment system. I stupidly kept taking his calls in an attempt to rectify this issue, reminding him that this was NOT the original agreement. I was about to lose my job - due to all the time this was taking and his threats were such that I took them very seriously. I was scared ... and like an idiot, I finally signed the paper to shut him up and continue to work and live in peace. I was terrified by his threats and at the time, as dumb as it sounds - if it would shut him up and I could feel safe again - I would've done just about anything. Needless to say, I will not make payments on this agreement as I worked EXTREMELY hard for him and his business and I feel quite certain that we are "even". Never the less, he is now telling me that he will take me to court because I DID sign the promissory note and I will pay court costs in addition to the amount he wants paid. Here's the question...I just spoke with an attorney who told me that because I signed the "note", it would be an up-hill battle for me to attempt to win in court. He suggested I file Bankruptcy - but I filed years ago during a bitter divorce. Yes, I already know how stupid I was in signing that promissory note - but in lieu of "getting my ass kicked", as this guy promised to do, (I'm a single Mom with a young son living with me, safety was a major factor in my decision making process) - at the time it seemed like a quick fix. Now what the heck do I do? File Bankruptcy again to get him off my back? Help!
Back when I was a kid, a Sugar Daddy was just a flat, chewy and delicious caramel candy on a stick. I used to love those things. I wonder if they still make them.

JETX

advice please! said:
Now what the heck do I do? File Bankruptcy again to get him off my back?
Your questions have nothing to do with the law and are simply, your own personal decision.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">