• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help desperately!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seacluded

What is the name of your state?
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? SC though incident happened in NC.

:confused: Almost three years ago my husband was injured in a 'slip and fall'. We secured an attorney who took the case on a contingency basis and then, after 2 1/2 years, dropped the ball. To be fair, he went into practice with another attorney and they methodically weeded out cases they felt didn't have a great chance for success. NC has the most strict of PI negligence standards even though it's my contention (like that matters) that my husband bears NO negligence in the matter. This hurt us in that we have had problems securing another attorney to take our case. Bottom line: We were told to file pro se and then, after stopping the clock, find an attorney who might help us.

Although I am not the village idiot I am also not an attorney. I wouldn't attempt to heal myself of a disease; I'd go to a doctor. Same for a civil suit. I really would much prefer to have an attorney but time is running out and we are stuck so, we are filing pro se.

My BIG problem: Incident happened on a golf course, my husband fell on the slippery stairs. I found out who owned the course at the time, who owns it now and the ins company has already sent us $5000.00 without claiming liabilty, so I know who they are. I signed no release. Who do I sue? Do I sue the previous owner who owned it when the injury occured? (I think yes) The subsequent owner who may have inherited the problem ?(I don't know) The insurance company who stonewalled my atty to death? (I don't know). Do I sue them all or will that confuse things?

I have looked up all the corporate records, know where these people are that did own the course and know who the present owner is. I just have no idea which ones to file against. If I sue the wrong people then I'm done, correct? I have no doubt about venue ( Brunswick County, NC) no doubt about which court (over 10K, superior) but am in doubt as to who the defendents are.

By the way, my husband is now permanently disabled, collecting SS, is 61 now, has severe back injuries (hard, not soft, documented by MD's and MUSC Hospital and various MDs and neurologists etc. and could possibly need surgery in the future) and if the Draconian (an attorney Ainsworth coined that phrase)laws of the state of NC say he owns some comparative/contributory negligence then that's a darned shame cause his life is forever changed.

Please accept my apologies for the long post. I have until February 23, 2005 until the statute of limitations runs out so I am, IN TROUBLE. Thanks, in advance, for any help you may offer. Seacluded​

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">