• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need to recover funds from an ex-gf

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hokiegl

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I lent my ex-girlfriend $3,000. All agreements between us were verbal. So, here is some history. She was $4,000 in debt and so I tried to help her. First I gave her a new credit card under my name and she used it regularly. She charged about $5,000 on it over the last year. The intention was for her to be able to pay off HER own credit card, while charging her daily bread on mine. Well, this did not happen (she just spent MORE). On top of this she was always bouncing checks and getting raped with fees. So here is what I did next:
a. I lent her $1,000, which she was not to touch. This was supposed to go into her bank account as a buffer, so that she would not bounce checks.
b. I lent her $2.000 to pay off her some of her credit card balance, so that she would not incur high finance charges.
All money was transferred at our bank from my account to hers (really a withdraw and then a deposit)
Well, shortly afterwards she dumped me. She is refusing to communicate. So, all I am trying to get back from her is the $3,000 that I lent her. Not the $5,000 that she charged on the credit card.

My questions:
a. Can a legally get her bank account information to show that the deposit and withdraw coincided on the same days. And can I show that the money was then sent off to the credit card company.
b. Can I get her credit history to show that she is HORRIBLE (always late payments, rent, does not pay bills, etc.)
c. If I can get the info above, plus a few emails where she acknowledges the debt, plus on top of that the $5,000 which I gave to her (to show that I am no greedy), is it reasonable for the judge to rule in my favor?
Thank you.

You Are Guilty

hokiegl said:
My questions:
a. Can a legally get her bank account information to show that the deposit and withdraw coincided on the same days. And can I show that the money was then sent off to the credit card company.
My answers:

a. You can ask her for it. Then you can try to subpoena it from the bank when she tells you to "F' Off". I have no clue how you plan on showing she sent the money to the credit card company, unless you work for them and have the envelope she used to mail it in.

hokiegl said:
b. Can I get her credit history to show that she is HORRIBLE (always late payments, rent, does not pay bills, etc.)
b. See answer to "a", replace "bank" with "credit bureaus". Unlikely it would make a difference as it's not evidence of anything pertinent to this case anyway.

hokiegl said:
c. If I can get the info above, plus a few emails where she acknowledges the debt, plus on top of that the $5,000 which I gave to her (to show that I am no greedy), is it reasonable for the judge to rule in my favor?
c. Sue her in small claims. Show you gave her the money. She will say the money was a gift, you say it was a loan. I believe all money transfers are presumed loans, so you got that working for you from the start. Anything else you can do to show it was a loan helps (i.e. prior loans, etc.)

The fact that you say part was a gift, part was a loan could come back to haunt you though. Who's to say it all wasn't a gift and now you're mad because she dumped you and you're just being spiteful.

hokiegl said:
Thank you.
You're welcome.

By the way, now that she's got five grand of your money, is she seeing anyone? Have any pictures?

H

hokiegl

I guess I was a bit confusing before. I am NOT even asking for the $5,000 that I gave her. I just want the $3,000 that I lent her.

"You are Guilty", So, you are saying that it is unlikely for a judge to rule in my favor?

You Are Guilty

Sorry, I lost my psychic powers years ago, so I can no longer predict what judges will do.

However, if what you say is true, you do have a decent shot. Think of it this way - you're already out the three grand. What's another $15 (whatever) to file a small claims case. You lose, you're no worse than if you didn't try. There's really no downside to filing, just save all your receipts, bank statements, cancelled checks, etc. as evidence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">