• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor spying with telescope

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dallasmom

What is the name of your state? Texas - Dallas County

i have a neighbor across the street from me of questionable character (has done "hard time") who has a telescope on a small tripod, setup on the front porch railing of the house; the telescope is pointed directly at my house, front window, door, drive, carport area, etc. it is pointed at my house all the time! he moves it back and forth depending on which part of the house he wants to look at (or in) next! The local police tell me that he is not breaking the law!

isn't there a right to privacy or a peeping tom law, little alone just plain old human decency law?

he parties, drinks, smokes pot and anything you can imagine with people coming and going all the time, please what can i do? if and when i call the police, he has a scanner so he just leaves and runs and hide before the police get there. Help!

AmosMoses

I have to guess...

...that as long as he is not on your property you (through the cops) have no recourse, but it sure does seem wrong and I can imagine your frustration with that! Are you on talking terms with this guy, enough to have told him it bothers you (although it would take an idiot to not know that you would hate this)? Is he hearing your phone call (with a 900MHz scanner), or the police dispatcher? If the cops are using scrambled transmission, he may hear you on your phone (if it's cordless). If so, use a standard phone to call the cops. I am assuming that you are simply returning the favor to him and calling the cops when he is engaging in other illegal activities, because the cops still won't be able to do anything to him if they see him in person. If I were you, I would get a still camera with a huge telephoto lens and set it up on a tripod on my porch. If he is up to no good, he surely won't want a camera aimed at him! Best of luck to you.

B

BB_Wolfe

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

In the middle of the night, go over there and smear some clear silicone on the lense. That'll screw it up!

IAAL
Better yet, buy a few of those little laser pointers and position one directly on his house. Or buy a HUGE flood light and shine it on the house all night.

D

dallasmom

response to AmosMoses:

I had no idea that there were scanners for cordless phones! Call me dumb! My husband and I have recorded him on cam and security video, "engaging in illegal activities" and you're right, we are simply returning the favor by calling the police.

The local police are in possession of a tape of this neighbor and his "bimbo" along with friends "smoking joy weed" but they can't do anything because they weren't there to actually "smell" what they were smoking even though its very obvious. The neighbor who we affectionately call "A-- Hole" (discreetly as we have a 12 year old, by the way who calls him "squirrel"), doesn't work, just brought home a new pickup, and always has money for beer, cigs, takeout food, and two brand new mini trail bikes! We can only speculate where the income is generated from. Side work salesman? Alot of short, in and out trips, and a steady stream of coming and going visitors, all hours of the day and night.

This guy also has to small boys, 7 and 4; and the bimbo that lives with him has a son around 10 or 12. He jumps into his new truck (with friends and or his kids) with an open beer all the time (were have an open container law in Texas) never bothering to seatbelt himself or the children). They don't hesitate to do these things in front of those kids.

My husband leaves for work at 5:30 am and sometimes doesn't get home till 7 pm. Twelve and fourteen hour days, usually 6 days a week. My husband keeps jokingly saying "I'm doin' something wrong".

There's a million stories in the naked city. I quess ours is just one more! Thanks so much for your thoughts, talking personally to this man (I use 'man' without definition) is out of the question, as he is really "pee'd off" because were have a security camera, and his only form of communication is his "four letter word vocabulary" and aggressive hand/finger gestures!

Thanks again, my hubby is stopping today to get a couple of standard corded phones.

D

dallasmom

Reply to I Am Always Liable:

Drapes are closed and my husband has installed "privacy film" on all windows (we can see out, but people can't see in) to keep this peeping tom in check.

Can't utilize silcone idea (although we certainly would like to!) as we don't want to 'trespass' on his property.

Thanks for your input.

D

dallasmom

Reply to BB_Wolfe

My husband has already put up the halogen flood and sensor lights on the house and this jerk absolutely "hates" it when they are on! He paces back and forth, stands and stares with his arms across his chest, and finally gets frustrated, goes back in his house and SLAMS his door! (Air percusion can be felt all the way across the street). So we just stand there and smile politely in out front yard, (simple paybacks are hell sometimes).

Like the idea of the laser pointers, VERY MUCH! We will try and see what happens! The police will probably be called on us for harrassment or disturbing/annoyance light beams. Who cares, its worth a try! My husband, after two tours in Vietnam in Special Forces, said "what's a visit from the local PD goin' to hurt in the scheme of things?" By the way, I refuse to let my husband set trip wires and claymores!

Thanks for the ideas! Will try the lasers and keep you informed!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">