• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor watching us with camera in tree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

watched

What is the name of your state? AZ

Our backdoor neighbor has a surveillance camera, probably with sound (X10) mounted in his tree survielling our backyard/patio/backwindows. The police have been very understanding with our dismay but have found that only hidden cameras in bathrooms, dressingrooms & the likes are illegal, so there is nothing they can do.

We are wondering what to do. Can/should we get an atty & take him to a civil court to get this thing taken down? Isn't this invasion of privacy & harrassment?

I have children that I no longer let play in the backyard. This has been very disconcerting.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TOP 12 Reasons Your Neighbor is Videotaping You and Why You Don't Like It - -

NUMBER 12: You discover every naughty thing you did this year was videotaped and posted on the Internet.

NUMBER 11: Allows you to videotape him if you promise he'll be on "Cops"

NUMBER 10: Likes to videotape you in your home because the last time he saw this much sucking up was on the Tommy Lee-Pamela Anderson videotape.

NUMBER 9: They need to videotape you because no one would believe them otherwise that your doctor accidentally left the price tag on your breasts.

NUMBER 8: They need to videotape you because no one would believe them that your breast implants are a size quintuple E.

NUMBER 7: Need to prove your new cheek implants look suspiciously like ketchup packets.

NUMBER 6: During playback, you discover their videotape title of you includes the words "booty" and/or "call".

NUMBER 5: The only reason you hate them videotaping you is because you found out you're being taped in something called "Out-of-Focus-Sneezing."

NUMBER 4: After reviewing it, their attorney asks you, "Great videotape. Was it a challenge memorizing your four lines?"

NUMBER 3: Listening to the audio portion, you keep hearing your neighbor repeatedly saying your husband is "One fruity lookin' idiot."

NUMBER 2: You hate the videotape because you discover that it contains a surprising amount of Irish step dancing.

AND, the NUMBER ONE Reason Your Neighbor is Videotaping You and Why You Don't Like It - -

The videotape is a training tape showing you describing how to respond to the "finger."

IAAL

W

watched

that was amusing, but can you offer anything a little more constructive? Please.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

watched said:
that was amusing, but can you offer anything a little more constructive? Please.

My response:

There's nothing illegal about what the neighbor is doing - - hence, there's nothing more that I can tell you except for something amusing.

Along those lines, I want you to set up a carnival booth in your backyard. Invite all the kids from the neighborhood, and call your game "Shoot the Camera Lense With The Spitwad" contest.

"Supersoaker" water guns are acceptable alternatives to straws and paper spitwads.

Whomever hits the lens gets $20.00. Whomever shorts out the camera and makes it sizzle gets $40.00.

Problem solved.

IAAL

W

watched

Thanks for the response. It made me laugh & I needed that. But for the sake of discussion... why do you suppose it's not illegal? Doesn't the "private" in private property afford a person any privacy?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

watched said:
Thanks for the response. It made me laugh & I needed that. But for the sake of discussion... why do you suppose it's not illegal? Doesn't the "private" in private property afford a person any privacy?

My response:

I'm glad you were able to laugh a little. I do understand how disconcerting this situation is to you, but there's nothing that can be done - - from a legal enforcement standpoint.

The camera is on his property, and when you say "private property" that refers to ownership, and physical trespass. The neighbor is not "physically" trespassing on your property, and he can point his camera in any direction he chooses - - much like your ability to take your camera outside and start taking pictures of random people.

Unless you can somehow erect some sort of blockage of the camera lense from your property, then this is just one of those things you'll have to endure.

Good luck. Who knows - - a lucky spitwad shot might just do the trick.

IAAL

L

ladyc4

Why don't you go the "eye for an eye" route and set up a surveillance camera that covers THEIR backyard? (In fact it wouldn't even have to be a real one, I've seen "dummy" ones for sale)

Or how about an "accident" with one of the kid's paintball guns?

Maybe set up a bird feeding station just ascloseasyoucan;) to their camera while still keeping it on your own property-hint-big birds that make pretty good "spots" like stuff like white bread, shelled corn, and even dog food.. and I don't know of any law that requires people with bird feeding stations to poddy train the birds that frequent it

the other thing I could suggest and this could take a few years, would be to surround your house and yard with fast growing trees that will create a screen-
Good luck!

W

watched

I'd also considered a well placed bird feeder... the camera has a motion sensor on it that turns on the video... I'm certain with all the activity, we could create some beautiful nature footage for guy.

C

Cage

watched said:
I'd also considered a well placed bird feeder... the camera has a motion sensor on it that turns on the video... I'm certain with all the activity, we could create some beautiful nature footage for guy.
Just an FYI the X10 system runs on a house code A, B,C,D and that means if you get an X10 system yourself you can take control of his system if your base station is set to the same house code LOL ...............message me if you want tips on setting it up. My neighbor and I had a similar problem with an alarm system.

C

Cage

Cage said:
Just an FYI the X10 system runs on a house code A, B,C,D and that means if you get an X10 system yourself you can take control of his system if your base station is set to the same house code LOL ...............message me if you want tips on setting it up. My neighbor and I had a similar problem with an alarm system.
you can also hire a person to make a transmiter that uses less than 1 watt that would reak have on his X10 system look up X10 spoofing and hacking on the internet

F

fired&disabled

general observation

i am wondering how a person who comes to this site for legal advice can decifer which threads are truly from a person seeking legal advice, and those which are secret messages between the higher ups of this website concerning issues that are between two or more dissenting opinions from a poster, with less senority than the person who is secretely asking for advice via coded names and coded threads on this site. this is from personal observation of the threads posted, advice given, which seems to have an underlying message. please clarify for all who read these forums.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

That's easy. The senior members have secret decoder rings, and we also use WWII German encryption, depending upon the seriousness of the thread.

Otherwise, we just swear at each other.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">