• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's cat in my yard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

educ8nc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

My neighbor's, declawed cat came into my fenced in backyard yesterday. I had just turned out my greyhounds to use the restroom (normally they are kept inside) and they spotted her and went after her. I called them off. The neighbor heard the commotion and came over and realized it was her cat.

She takes the cat to the vet and tells me the bill is $1000 or more and what was I going to do about it? I don't feel I have financial responsibility for it b/c my dogs were in my yard and were supervised. These dogs are highly trained to chase small, fuzzy things and therefore, my cat stays inside!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She called the police who came and filled out a report and said she wants to take me to civil court. Does she have leg to stand on???

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

My neighbor's, declawed cat came into my fenced in backyard yesterday. I had just turned out my greyhounds to use the restroom (normally they are kept inside) and they spotted her and went after her. I called them off. The neighbor heard the commotion and came over and realized it was her cat.

She takes the cat to the vet and tells me the bill is $1000 or more and what was I going to do about it? I don't feel I have financial responsibility for it b/c my dogs were in my yard and were supervised. These dogs are highly trained to chase small, fuzzy things and therefore, my cat stays inside!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She called the police who came and filled out a report and said she wants to take me to civil court. Does she have leg to stand on???
**A: did you talk to your insurance agent?

tranquility

I am uncertain as to her cause of action. I'd guess negligence, but don't think there has been any duty breached by you. (Assuming all events occurred in your fully-fenced in back yard.)

educ8nc

My yard is completely fenced with a 5 1/2 ft chain link. The cop told me there was no way the dogs got the cat through the fence. He said he would write all of that up in the report.

I haven't contacted my homeowner's yet.

sandyclaus

My yard is completely fenced with a 5 1/2 ft chain link. The cop told me there was no way the dogs got the cat through the fence. He said he would write all of that up in the report.

I haven't contacted my homeowner's yet.
If the cat came into YOUR fenced yard, then you have no liability here. The police seemed to understand that, based upon what they told you about the dogs being unable to get the cat through the fence.

Let the cat owner sue you. Be prepared with the police report, and have one of the responding police officers available to testify as to the content of that report. Anyone can sue, but that doesn't mean they can win.

mrssmith

Legal Fees question

If the dog owner's neighbor follows through on the law suit and loses, would the neighbor also be responsible for the dog owner's legal fees? If so, what percentage of legal fees. Also, if the neighbor starts to pursue a case against her, and realizes she doesn't have a case, could the neighbor drop the suit, leaving the dog owner to pay her attorney?

Gail in Georgia

Your neighbor failed to control her pet and the cat entered your fenced yard.

I'm surprised the cat survived. I've had greyhounds (I'm assuming yours were also retired racers) and they are trained to chase fuzzy little things.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">