• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A new company has taken over loans.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

entropy323

The statements you receive from Navient should include a summary and there should be information on Navient's policies (e.g., the how much and when re. late payment fees) and there should be a website address given where questions specific to your account can be answered. If Sallie Mae was continuing to service your loan instead of Navient, you would have received information from Sallie Mae about your account and any changes that might have been made to it.
I could log into my account from the Sallie Mae website and see a few details, yes. Now that the loan has transferred to a new entity(Navient), I have to accept a new Terms of Service agreement to log in and see what they have to show on the account. It may be different. By accepting the ToS, I am concerned that I may be doing something regrettable.

But the way to get the type of documentation you seem to want is to prepay your loan, to underpay your loan or to be delinquent on your loan. The first option is a pretty good option if you have the funds but the other two options are not ones I recommend.
Prepaying the loan is something I haven't thought of, but it may be feasible. How could I get Navient to provide the documentation after I've prepaid?

tranquility

If they can supply these documents, I have little choice but to honor the agreement or default. Oh well. I have a hunch though that they might not have the original promissory note in which case they would have to prove they lost it through no fault of their own were there to be a lawsuit involved.
This is the key quote and your error. They will not supply the documents for the deal you are fully aware of unless they have to. They will have to after you default and they initiate suit.

If you want to avoid that, you either ask politely or prepare for the effects of default and lawsuit. Remember on the master promissory note you did sign and they have a record of, you promised to pay collection costs, including lawyers fees as well.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I could log into my account from the Sallie Mae website and see a few details, yes. Now that the loan has transferred to a new entity(Navient), I have to accept a new Terms of Service agreement to log in and see what they have to show on the account. It may be different. By accepting the ToS, I am concerned that I may be doing something regrettable.
You can't be serious.

entropy323

No, you told us that you requested the document(s). You then proceeded to inquire about not paying if they didn't send you what you asked for.
Read carefully. I said I am about to write a letter in the first post-- not that I already had. Also, I was inquiring about not having to pay until these document were provided. See the difference? As in, a way to place timed payments on hold until documents are provided.

entropy323

This is the key quote and your error. They will not supply the documents for the deal you are fully aware of unless they have to. They will have to after you default and they initiate suit.

If you want to avoid that, you either ask politely or prepare for the effects of default and lawsuit. Remember on the master promissory note you did sign and they have a record of, you promised to pay collection costs, including lawyers fees as well.
How is this a key quote and error exactly? My questions have errors? I have already gotten the idea that they will not hand over these documents easily. I'm trying to find out if anyone here has any idea how I can get them without going into default. I posted earlier that I'd rather not.

quincy

How is this a key quote and error exactly? My questions have errors? I have already gotten the idea that they will not hand over these documents easily. I'm trying to find out if anyone here has any idea how I can get them without going into default. I posted earlier that I'd rather not.
The Terms of Service should not affect your loan in any way. Agreeing to the terms of service, in other words, does not alter the loan documents.

I suggest you access your account through the Navient website that has your loan information and where you can have your questions and concerns addressed.

I would not be afraid of visiting the Navient site. If you have questions about the Terms of Service, you can post back here after reading through them and before you click on "accept."

But you should make your loan payments on time. Defaulting on the loan by not paying what you owe or by paying less than what you owe or by paying late should not be options that you consider.

Because you said your deferment ends on November 11, you should be receiving a statement from Navient soon, if you haven't received the first one already.

Good luck.

entropy323

The Terms of Service should not affect your loan in any way. Agreeing to the terms of service, in other words, does not alter the loan documents.

I suggest you access your account through the Navient website that has your loan information and where you can have your questions and concerns addressed.

I would not be afraid of visiting the Navient site. If you have questions about the Terms of Service, you can post back here after reading through them and before you click on "accept."

But you should make your loan payments on time. Defaulting on the loan by not paying what you owe or by paying less than what you owe or by paying late should not be options that you consider.

Because you said your deferment ends on November 11, you should be receiving a statement from Navient soon, if you haven't received the first one already.

Good luck.
This line of the ToS is what made me ask about it.

7. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY

COMPANY SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY OR ACTUAL DAMAGES, EVEN IF COMPANY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

I definitely do not want to default. One more reiteration, there is no way that you know of to put payments on hold until verifiable documents are provided? I haven't received a statement yet, but I suppose I'll just log in and see what, if any, changes there are.

Eh, so fault me for exploring any avenues to free myself of debt :p

TigerD

I definitely do not want to default.
Then pay your bill. This isn't rocket science. You borrowed the money. You spent the money. You owe the money. Stop trying to play games -- you aren't even doing that well -- and just pay your bill. Then you won't default.

Asking the lender for an accounting is rather common. It isn't difficult and student loan payment processors have more information about you than your mother. Theirs is probably more accurate too.

DC

quincy

This line of the ToS is what made me ask about it.

7. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY

COMPANY SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY OR ACTUAL DAMAGES, EVEN IF COMPANY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

I definitely do not want to default. One more reiteration, there is no way that you know of to put payments on hold until verifiable documents are provided? I haven't received a statement yet, but I suppose I'll just log in and see what, if any, changes there are.

Eh, so fault me for exploring any avenues to free myself of debt :p
Although I am not comfortable saying anything for sure without visiting the website and reading the TOS in its entirety, I would say that the "limitation of liability" in the terms of service refers to the terms of service for the website only, and not to your loan (for example, if the website is hacked).

It does not appear from anything you have posted yet that you have any avenues to explore that can free yourself of this debt. You borrowed the money and you are responsible for paying it back. So, if you definitely do not want to default, make the payments on time.

But you are free to sit down with an attorney in your area for a personal review, to see if the loan payments can be delayed a bit longer. None of us know all of the facts of your situation so the personal review could give you a clearer picture of what you can and can't do (and what you should and should not do) as it relates to your loan.

Good luck.

entropy323

Thank you, Quincy. You've been helpful. You've been answering my questions seriously and I thank you. I suppose it could be a waste of time trying to figure out an alternative to honoring the contract and/or getting a full statement of account, but I am curious of the possibility. I'll be on my way.

As for DC, you're not helpful. No one likes you.

E.

quincy

Thank you, Quincy. You've been helpful. You've been answering my questions seriously and I thank you. I suppose it could be a waste of time trying to figure out an alternative to honoring the contract and/or getting a full statement of account, but I am curious of the possibility. I'll be on my way.

As for DC, you're not helpful. No one likes you.

E.
There is nothing wrong with asking questions and looking at possibilities and, with the well-publicized problems Sallie Mae has had with its loans in the recent past, I too might question a loan I had through them.

That said, I think looking at your account information on the Navient website might help you get a better understanding of your loan and your obligations, and what you find might in addition relieve any worries you have about Navient's handling of your loan (even though you probably won't find any information on the website that tells you how to avoid paying what you owe ;)).

Thank you for the thanks, entropy. Good luck.

As a note, I like DC. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">