• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

new husband having paycheck garnished

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dlky

What is the name of your state?KY
About two weeks after I returned from my honeymoon, my husband received documents letting him know a car loan company had received a default judgement to the tune of around $5000 against him. He hadn't previously let me know he was being sued on this, or that he was supposed to go to court. I don't think he even READ the entire set of papers informing of intent to sue b/c when I read them (at a much later date, having found them by accident) I learned that the company who had sued him didn't even have a contract with him, it had been lost, by their own admission. Of course, though, since he didn't bother to show up or try to make a deal with them, they won everything they had been seeking, plus interest, eventhough they repossed the car and had it auctioned off only six months after he purchased it. (the original car price not including his $1000 down payment was only about $6000) It has been about six months, I know you're probably supposed to file for any type of appeal much sooner, but is there anything we can do? These people now garnish his paycheck every week, tried to garnish his checking account, (his own fault) but if we file our income taxes jointly, can they garnish that, and if so what percentage? thanks, dl

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dlky said:
What is the name of your state?KY
About two weeks after I returned from my honeymoon, my husband received documents letting him know a car loan company had received a default judgement to the tune of around $5000 against him. He hadn't previously let me know he was being sued on this, or that he was supposed to go to court. I don't think he even READ the entire set of papers informing of intent to sue b/c when I read them (at a much later date, having found them by accident) I learned that the company who had sued him didn't even have a contract with him, it had been lost, by their own admission. Of course, though, since he didn't bother to show up or try to make a deal with them, they won everything they had been seeking, plus interest, eventhough they repossed the car and had it auctioned off only six months after he purchased it. (the original car price not including his $1000 down payment was only about $6000) It has been about six months, I know you're probably supposed to file for any type of appeal much sooner, but is there anything we can do? These people now garnish his paycheck every week, tried to garnish his checking account, (his own fault) but if we file our income taxes jointly, can they garnish that, and if so what percentage? thanks, dl

My response:

It doesn't sound like you married "Mr. Responsible". Be careful. Your single-wide trailer could be next!

IAAL

dlky

Thanks, that was very informative. Upon, submitting a question, I had assumed that maybe someone knew more about the answer to the question, and less about trailers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">