• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New owner of previous house trying to collect damages after for foreclosure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ELECTRICO312

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VIRGINIA
Long story short. I was renting a house for almost 7 years. Last year I receive a notice on the door (10/20/12) letting me know that the house has been sold on foreclosure and that the previous landlord and "any other occupants" were taking to court for occupying the house. (November 8, 2012) I went to court and explained to the judge that I was justa tenant that has paid the house unitil December including the deposit. The Judge set trial for 12/07/12. The judge asked me if was looking for a place to go and I told the judge that I was already moving in 2 weeks to a new place and he granted possesion of the house to the new landlords (investing company) and told them that they were granting $6000 in uncollected rent from the previous owners only. And that I did not have anything to do with. He asked me to try to move out ASAP that It was going to take at least 30 days beforethe new landlord start eviction procedures and by that times I was going to be gone anyways. 3 days before my move out Investing company change the locks of the house while I still had my personal staff at my house. He treathened me not to enter his property and I called the police and explain the situation and told that I was moving out already but that the new landlords has not gone trhu the eviction procedures but I only neede a couples days to take my things out of there. The following weekend I took the other 10% that was left in the house and end of the story..... Well not really. 3 months later I received a letter that was forwarded from my previous address to my new house letting me know that They are motioning to amned the pleading and the judge decision and they want me name included instead of "any other occupants" and now they want to collect $13,500.00 for uncollected rent since they bought the house on foreclosure and fixing the property to their startdards.

I was never served and I got this letter from the post office was lucky. I think that they did this on purpose so that I never new that I was being sue. This is crazy and I do not know what to do. I just want to hear some opinions before I spent $$ in attorney fees. I thing that I have been harassed and this investor is just trying to make money out of someone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">