• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ 5th Wheel RV destroyed and belongings searched through.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

precisionclear

New Jersey

I purchased a 5th wheel RV, paid for it, then recieved the title. Moved my stuff into it, made a verbal contract to store on property for 2 months while I went out of state to work. Upon return they had destroyed the roof windows and allowed water inside that created damage and mold. Illegal entered and searched through my documents and belongings, stole the key, and uploaded personal things onto my facebook to friends and family while demanding 15x the original agreed amount. Physically blocked tow truck guy from reposessing the rv, and now says they consider it abandoned and intent to sell for parts. Total value of RV is 5,000.

I've tried to talk to attorneys but there doesn't seem to be enough money involved for them to be interested. They recommended I take it to the Special Civil part. This makes sense for recieving compensation for my losses
but isn't the act of physically blocking me access from my property also theft, and the uploading of documents while demanding money - extortion/blackmail?

They have sent 100's of text messages and voicemails that have been saved for evidence.

Should I be searching for a criminal attorney instead?

quincy

New Jersey

I purchased a 5th wheel RV, paid for it, then recieved the title. Moved my stuff into it, made a verbal contract to store on property for 2 months while I went out of state to work. Upon return they had destroyed the roof windows and allowed water inside that created damage and mold. Illegal entered and searched through my documents and belongings, stole the key, and uploaded personal things onto my facebook to friends and family while demanding 15x the original agreed amount. Physically blocked tow truck guy from reposessing the rv, and now says they consider it abandoned and intent to sell for parts. Total value of RV is 5,000.

I've tried to talk to attorneys but there doesn't seem to be enough money involved for them to be interested. They recommended I take it to the Special Civil part. This makes sense for recieving compensation for my losses
but isn't the act of physically blocking me access from my property also theft, and the uploading of documents while demanding money - extortion/blackmail?

They have sent 100's of text messages and voicemails that have been saved for evidence.

Should I be searching for a criminal attorney instead?
Did you report the vandalism and theft to the police?

precisionclear

Yes I called the state police the morning when the tow truck arrived and land owner blocked him in.

Officer saw the damage and recommended that I sue in civil court. So there's a report, and witnesses.

quincy

Yes I called the state police the morning when the tow truck arrived and land owner blocked him in.

Officer saw the damage and recommended that I sue in civil court. So there's a report, and witnesses.
How are the police handling it? Any charges filed? A court can order restitution should the vandals/thieves be convicted, which can help you avoid the need for a civil action.

precisionclear

Before the tow truck guy arrived I called both the state and local police. Both assured me to the point of making it sound like I was asking a stupid question,
that as the legal owner of the RV if I tried to retrieve it and they blocked in my guy in - it would be considered a crime.

Well, for some god unkowable reason when the state trooper arrived, she claimed I needed to wire her money because she has four kids to feed - and he simply told me, "I can't do anything, this is just a civil matter." Then he left.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Before the tow truck guy arrived I called both the state and local police. Both assured me to the point of making it sound like I was asking a stupid question,
that as the legal owner of the RV if I tried to retrieve it and they blocked in my guy in - it would be considered a crime.

Well, for some god unkowable reason when the state trooper arrived, she claimed I needed to wire her money because she has four kids to feed - and he simply told me, "I can't do anything, this is just a civil matter." Then he left.
Sue the bad guy/gal

quincy

Strange. Have any charges been filed against the property owner for theft/vandalism?

What sort of oral agreement did you have with the property owner before you took off for two months, leaving the RV behind? Do you owe the property owner any money for storage fees? Was the property owner aware you would be gone for two months or did the property owner expect you to be back "soon" (as in a few days) to retrieve the RV?

Zigner

The cop didn't want to get in the middle of a he said/she said matter. Unfortunately, they don't have a duty to do so...

precisionclear

Strange. Have any charges been filed against the property owner for theft/vandalism?

What sort of oral agreement did you have with the property owner before you took off for two months, leaving the RV behind? Do you owe the property owner any money for storage fees? Was the property owner aware you would be gone for two months or did the property owner expect you to be back "soon" (as in a few days) to retrieve the RV?
We made an oral agreement that I would pay 50 dollars a month and be gone for two months.
Within that time, they also tried to sell me a truck in which they claimed could haul the RV, but upon looking up the specs I realized they were lieing and so I refused.
I suspect this is when the roof damage occured, and upon trying to reclaim my property - they demanded 800 - 1,200 dollars in cash and holding my stuff as ransom.
In addition to the online extortion by uploading my documents.

No charges has been made as the officer told me it was all civil so I've just been searching for an attorney. But I do have the many photos taken by the land owner herself,
when she illegally entered.

Last edited:

quincy

We made an oral agreement that I would pay 50 dollars a month and be gone for two months.
Within that time, they also tried to sell me a truck in which they claimed could haul the RV, but upon looking up the specs I realized they were lieing and so I refused.
I suspect this is when the roof damage occured, and upon trying to reclaim my property - they demanded 800 - 1,200 dollars in cash and holding my stuff as ransom.
In addition to the online extortion by uploading my documents.

No charges has been made as the officer told me it was all civil so I've just been searching for an attorney. But I do have the many photos taken by the land owner herself,
when she illegally entered.
Did you pay the property owner $100?

If you have title to the vehicle, you can retrieve it. Have vehicle ownership proof in hand when you go back to the property, with tow truck and accompanying police, to retrieve the vehicle.

I would also file a complaint with the police if they do not move to charge the property owner with vandalism and theft.

If all else fails, file a suit against the property owner. You can consult with an attorney in your area. Good luck.

precisionclear

Did you pay the property owner $100?

If you have title to the vehicle, you can retrieve it. Have vehicle ownership proof in hand when you go back to the property, with tow truck and accompanying police, to retrieve the vehicle.

I would also file a complaint with the police if they do not move to charge the property owner with vandalism and theft.

If all else fails, file a suit against the property owner. You can consult with an attorney in your area. Good luck.
Now that there's been a lot of damage done to it, and these other issues happening - I'm basically just going to take it to court, but do you know what kind of attorney handles this?
I kept getting reffered to real estate, landlords, etc. When it's seems more criminal than anything.
The money involved doesn't seem enough to interest many of them who see it as sueing for damages.

I want to sue not only for that but the breaking and entering, theft, extortion, and so on.

Whenever I search for criminal attorneys it's always "criminal defense". This is the part that confuses me.

Zigner

Now that there's been a lot of damage done to it, and these other issues happening - I'm basically just going to take it to court, but do you know what kind of attorney handles this?
I kept getting reffered to real estate, landlords, etc. When it's seems more criminal than anything.
The money involved doesn't seem enough to interest many of them who see it as sueing for damages.

I want to sue not only for that but the breaking and entering, theft, extortion, and so on.

Whenever I search for criminal attorneys it's always "criminal defense". This is the part that confuses me.
The problem is that YOU don't get to sue criminally. You can only sue civilly. Figure out your damages and sue.

precisionclear

The problem is that YOU don't get to sue criminally. You can only sue civilly. Figure out your damages and sue.
That makes sense. Okay, I'll get that going then.

Thank you all, for the advice. Can't remember what it's called, but one step up from small claims court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">