• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no money for lawyer to defend civil lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gwyn

What is the name of your state? Florida
i am a 23 yr old single mom. feb 2000, when i was a working student for my trainer at her barn in the west palm area, a horse that she advised me to aquire (in a trade for my horse that was no longer appropriate), allegedly kicked one of her other working students, who was also a friend of mine. i had only owned the horse for 3 wks at the time, and was still getting to know him. the trainer knew the horse very well, and this girl also knew him well, and had ridden and shown him many times previously, and loved him so much that she also encouraged me to aquire him so she could ride, train, and show him for me, to increase his value, as she was the more experienced rider at the time. the trainer thought this was a great idea. (the girl has very wealthy family, but they were curtailing her funds and activities as she had gotten very poor grades her first semester away at UCF due to extreme partying, and was known to be very promiscuious, and use drugs and alchohol. she was even kicked out of the barn for a while for these reason. her parents had her back at home to go to local community college and work, and would not buy her a horse to ride.) for many years this girl has ridden and shown horses for many people, sometimes even for money, which actually qualifies her as a professional in the horse industry. she has handled stallions, young, untrained horses, difficult horses etc. she knows the safety precautions to observe around all horses, and has had her share of injuries, including kicks from horses. she has also been known to have a short fuse at times with the horses, and sometimes has been observed provoking them and being "rough". at the time of the incident, she was alone at the barn, and was found on ground holding her head, and stated that my horse had kicked her in the head. (won't go into what she claimed led up to it, or what i believe happened thru evidence, and what witnesses have confirmed) when we arrived, she was alert and trainer took her to er for stitches on forehead. (no other medical attention required) she returmed later and was laughing about incident. she did not appear to hold horse or anyone responsible at the time. she showed no fear of horse, and rode him less than 2 weeks later and went on to ride and jump and show him untill he was sold almost a yr later. (have video and witnesses to this) she resumed all her reg activity, partying, school, work, and riding many horses. in june 2000 i left to start my own horse business in orlando area and she came there to my leased barn(while she worked and went to school) to ride the horse untill it sold. i even paid her a large commission after it sold. she never mentioned the incident, except in joking way. then she started to have money and school problems again, and in the summer of 2001 i recieved a legal document that she was sueing me for negligence for my horse kicking her. she said he was known to be dangerous and viscious(not true), and that i knew that and should have warned her(she knew him better than i), trained him to be safe(she was training him at time), and kept him safely away from others etc. she wanted $15,000 b/c she couldn't work or go to school or do any of normal life activities b/c of this injury.(there is much proof to the contrary). she was also suing several other people...the trainer, owner of property, and previous owner of horse b/f me. i responded with legal document and heard no more untill late spring 2002 with notice of suit naming now just myself and previous owner. i contacted legal aid in west palm area as that is where it is being filed, and was referred to a lawyer there, who was very interested in taking case. i did explain that i had almost NO money. all i owned was a horse that i gave to my mom in exchange for her putting the $1500 on her credit card for the retainer fee for lawyer. my lawyer joined up with the previous owners lawyers hired by her insurance( i was not personally insured. nor was the horse), and shedid try to keep costs down. but now the retainer is gone, and she has sent a bill for $500, plus a contract for new retainer, and a contract for payment to a person taking a deposition soon. i get the impression that all the defense lawyers want the case to go to trial b/c they think it is a slam dunk. either way, i lose. i have no money to continue my defense, and have no way to get any. i have no credit, no assets, no car, no house, property etc. (my son is on medicaid.) my stepfather was out of work for 2 yrs and just got hit by a drunk driver, and so my family has no funds or credit to help any more either. and i have no family or clients that can help. i have told the lawyers this, but they do not seem to understand. i said i will pay the $500 in whatever tiny amounts per month i can manage, but i can't sign any more contracts. HELP! what do i do, and what are the potential repercussions to me, my son, and my business?

Z

zappy

your post is too long, not seperated in paragraphs so we can read it easier...

But i offer this advice:

>>>>i am a 23 yr old single mom.<<<<<<<<

THAT is the biggest reason you are POOR and cant afford a lawyer.

Where is the daddy? why isnt he kicking in a few dollars or his family?

I hope you learned your lesson and not have any more kids till you can afford them.

G

gwyn

ty for your reply...i understand now that i should have it split into paragraphs, and i tried to keep as brief as poss. however, i was not asking why i have no money for lawyers. i know all too well, and a lecture was not helpful to my problem.

i worked very hard to put myself thru college on a basketball scholarship, and was a virgin who did not drink or smoke or do drugs. unfortunately i was also young and naive, and allowed myself to get involved in a relationship that i should not have. i was a responsible adult who used birth control properly, but in my case it failed. if you want me to have learned my "lesson", what part specifically would you say should not be repeated?

1) having sex in a monogamous relationship, over the age of 21, using proper birth control? then i would say most of the country makes that same "mistake" on a regular basis.

2) not killing my unborn baby in an abortion? i am sorry, but that is something i personally could never do.

3) not giving my baby up for adoption? again, that is something i personally could not do.

everyone makes their choices and i take full responsibility for mine. that is why i set up my own business, so i could make a living, and take care of my son. he will be off medicaid this month. i am on NO public assistance otherwise. i pay my bills on time. i do get child support. but as a 23yr old single mom with a new business, i have not had time or means to aquire assets, and certainly no money left over for lawyers in a suit that has no justification whatsoever.

L

lisa russo

23 year old single mom who cant afford a lawyer

I am glad you stood up for yourself to Zappy or whoever that was. What they said was judgemental and unhelpful. I have a simmilar problem and was looking for help as well. I cannot afford a lawyer either because of the five children I guess I can't afford. I am married and used to be doing well before one of my children was diagnosed with autism and the other with a stroke at birth. You go girl, people should consider that there are allways circumstances that they are not aware of and are'nt their business.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">