• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No notification of hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goliath7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I recently filed to vacate my divorce due to my ex's fraud and for her contempt with regard to visitation and phone calls with my daughter. The normal filling of complaint and response occurred from our attorneys. I was waiting to hear about a court date that never arrived. I received the judge's decision on my motion to vacate through the mail. My attorney did not notify me that we had a court date.

Did the judge rule without a hearing? I was originally told I would get a hearing if an agreement for mediation was not made.

Can he do that?

Also, there was no ruling on my contempt motion. I have tried to contact my attorney but he is side stepping my questions.

Any advice as to what I need to do?

Thanks

tranquility

A judge can make a decision on the pleadings. Demanding to "vacate" a divorce is an unusual motion and, while you use the bare term "fraud", without truly egregious actions, I don't see it happening. The contempt may have been lost in the shuffle or not properly filed. But, no one can tell without seeing the pleadings. You've got to talk with the attorney to see if you have any steps available to you. It is impossible to determine from a distance with so little facts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">