• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Noisy Neighbors - Wrote letter, called police, Their lawyer wrote letter about libel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

georgiadog

Georgia

I really need an attorney to address an issue that concerns continued disturbances from a new neighbor. I would like to have an attorney address a letter from my new neighbor's attorney.

To be brief, I have lived in my condominium for 12 years. Several weeks ago a young couple (who had previously rented in the building) purchased the condo directly beside mine. Although they do not actually live in the unit yet, they have been moving in for the past three or more weeks. They have continued to slam their door so hard that it knocked pictures off of the neighbors wall (across the hall). It is so loud that it makes me jump out of my seat every time it happens. I tried to ask them to please stop by placing a note on their door. The result was three very hard door slams in a row. My other neighbors heard it and reported it to the building manager. When I went to the door no body answered. When it happened again, I went to the door and the owner was not very nice and stated; “What’s going to happen when we move in? It will just get worse”. He also stated; “I’m not going to stop”. My partner and I tried, with no success, to demonstrate how to close the door.

Since then, the door slamming happen again last Saturday night. I placed another note on the door and then the guy banged on my door and we had a heated discussion, which resulted in me calling the Atlanta Police. When the police officer came, my new neighbors were not to be found. I then wrote a letter to him and copied building manager.

On Saturday, October 18, 2003, I received a letter from their attorney accusing me of filing a false, harrassing police report, defamation of character, libel, etc. etc. I really would like an need an attorney to address this letter for me. I have only reported the disturbance to the building manager, which normal proceedure and called the police to report this ongoing disturbance. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

JETX

Bottom line to your entire scenario.... if what you are claiming in your letter is accurate, there is no defamation. In order to have defamed them, the statements must be untrue and they must have been damaged. Based solely on the information in your post, defamation did not occur.

defamation
n. the act of making untrue statements about another which damages his/her reputation. If the defamatory statement is printed or broadcast over the media it is libel and, if only oral, it is slander. Public figures, including officeholders and candidates, have to show that the defamation was made with malicious intent and was not just fair comment. Damages for slander may be limited to actual (special) damages unless there is malice. Some statements such as an accusation of having committed a crime, having a feared disease or being unable to perform one's occupation are called libel per se or slander per se and can more easily lead to large money awards in court and even punitive damage recovery by the person harmed. Most states provide for a demand for a printed retraction of defamation and only allow a lawsuit if there is no such admission of error.

The power of revenge

Try doing the same to them, see if they like that. But seriously, you need to figure out a tactic to get these people to behave, this shouldn't be tolerated! For starters, the police CAN be called after a certain time of a night (I think it's 10pm) because they are indeed disturbing the order with all the noise. However, if you're dealing with passive-aggressive, "don't give a damn" cops you won't get too far. The busier the police dept., the less likely they are to respond. Look up the local noise ordinance as well. Get an attorney yourself. Sorry, I am just a young college kid so I can't give you any legal advice but I do emphatize with you and don't give up the fight.

PS. Posting notes on peoples' doors usually just get them more aggrevated. Should try a diffrent approach with animals.

T

Thomas234

I let my wife do the dirty work. We had a neighbor that loved his music… thump, thump, thump. My wife finally had enough of my “polite” requests that amounted to nothing. Her approach was much more effective, “turn the music down or I will shove the receiver down your throat and pull the cord out of your ass.”

God, I love this woman!

amcfreek

let me say this my wanna be biker neighbor next door ,and his convienent store robbing kid know better then to make too much noise .
first off he didnt care about the neighbors when he wanted to crank his 280 watt per side reciever up , it lasted as long as it took till my tubes in my old hamset warmed up , then i owned it , it cost him all his mids and highs out of two sets of speakers , one of them were sansui's with 15's.... ouch . so now the kid will turn it down when he heres a click of me checking the antenna ..
my advice is if they crank the music .. or tv it would eb a shame if liek some one bought a cb at the truckstop , and a ham power amp called a linear , preferably like 250 watt they are around 100 new now and it would be a shame if you hooked it up in the house ,, it would more then likely interfere with about annything as they dont have good filters and splatter rf waves into everything.. it would be a real shame wouldnt it grin grin.. if you need anny ideas on howto make this work ... let mw know i like clearing problems up....i have eaven offered my services as a pest exterminator....
laterz peace am<

BL

Ya know what I tell my landlord like it is. They are disrupting my peace & enjoyment of My rental Property. If this continues you won't see a dime. Sooner or later the neighbors will do their selves in. Which would you rather have for a tenant, one that is decent and pays the rent and doesn't move every month ,or one that does ?

I call the Police every time the neighbors turn it up,keep Dates & Times , and let my landlord know.

I've been so much told by the City maybe you should move. I haven't but guess who has ? The prior neighbors have threatened our lives. LOl I don't budge an inch. If no one else will ENFORCE the Laws I have my ways.

I now am living w/ no neighbor on the side or under me, no loud parties or music.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">