• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not Guilty by Jury Trial...Can I sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dan1978

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

IOWA-

I have just been found not guilty in a jury trial. The charges were 2 Forcible Felony Assaults. Wilfull Injury-Serious Injury, Assault causing Serious Injury. A class C, and D felony. FIFTEEN YEARS in prison. This resulted from a "house party" altercation in which I had been surrounded, struck twice and pushed and pulled. I kicked someone and their teeth were knocked out. I had called 911 and was on the phone BEFORE>DURING>AFTER the kick. It's alll on tape. Me saying "i have no problem with you guys" and them saying "it's an ass beating" and various other threats.
This has been a 9 month nightmare. I was charged with a D felony on the scene, and the charges were dropped a week later. A month after that they were tripled. Before I was rearrested, the prosecutor offered a deal back to the original charge. I refused to sign my life away and went all the way to a jury trial. The states witnesses told multiple lies and stories about what went down that night. The jury went out and in 2 minutes asked to hear the 911 call again. 30 minutes later I was called from the coffee shop for the verdict. NOT GUILTY.

I have suffered tremendous emotional, mental anguish from all this. I have spent money on my defense. I have been unable to find a job for putting on my apps that I would need time off for 2 pending felony assaults. My name has been dragged through the newspaper. Plus other damages I'm sure.

Do I have any civil case against these "party goers"?
Would I be able to get a "contingency" lawyer?

Thank you all.

More of this story is posted under the criminal/arrests thread. Titled- Am I guilty of Wilfull injury in Iowa?

>Charlotte<

Lurker
You can sue anyone you want, so if you feel very strongly about pursuing a lawsuit feel free to speak to an attorney, but I doubt you'll find one to work on a contingency.

Keep in mind that it wasn't the partygoers that charged you, and then followed through with a jury trial. That was the D.A. Whether the partygoers lied to him or not, it's still the prosecuter that makes the decisions as to how far he'll go with the case.

Your remedy for being wrongfully accused was a jury trial that ultimately ended in a verdict of "not guilty". You had your day in court, and you were found not guilty. Case closed.

If you feel very strongly about it you should speak to an attorney, but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">