• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not a "registered" Cub Scout leader

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamesc875

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I have been volunteering as a den leader of a group of cub scouts for several months, and have only recently found out that the cub scout pack administrators never submitted my application as an adult leader (including the criminal/sex offender/background checks) to the regional scouting office, as they should have. I have requested at least twice that this application be submitted, but it never has. As far as our regional scout office is concerned, I am not even in their database. Without the proper documentation on file with the Boy Scouts of America, I am wondering and potentially concerned about my personal liability if an allegation of abuse, neglect, etc. should arise as a result of activities associated with this cub scout den. Should I be concerned? What should be my next move?

Last edited:

tranquility

Your responsibilities and risk will be unchanged regarding such matters whether you are in the database or not. The risk managment function is to protect the organization and not you. If you care, send a certified letter to the person in charge of risk management the level above you telling them your story. I guarantee they will deal with the situation quickly.

Dandy Don

Have you checked county records online to see if there is anything in your background that would give them second thoughts about accepting your application?

tranquility

The purpose of the check is to eliminate problems and reduce liability. To have a valid risk management program, there needs to be a written plan on what constitutes disqualification or not. It is unlikely he would not immediately be suspended and notified if there was a problem in the background.

jamesc875

No, I have served as a coach on numerous kids sports teams, and have 'supposedly' had background checks conducted each time for these roles, and my occupation requires an active gov't clearance, so I have no concern about what their screening may find. I am concerned because I believe that all parents have a right to expect that an organization such as the Boy Scouts of America is actually performing screening on their leaders - If I was not the den leader of these kids, I would certainly not want to know that their leader, whoever that may be, had not undergone the appropriate background checks, no matter what a 'great guy' he seemed to be. Inconsistent with your 'risk management ' explanation is the fact that I have additionally been advised that if allegations resulting in legal action were ever taken out against me with regard to this role, it would not serve in my favor if it were revealed that I knew for many, many months that this background screening had not been conducted, but I continued to function as the den leader (even though it was not my responsibility to actually submit the application to the regional office.) I filled the application out and handed it to Pack officials almost a year ago. Currently, this is not an arrangement I am comfortable with, nor do I believe that my willingness to support these youngsters and their families should be compromised by the lack of follow-through on the part of the Cub Scout Pack. I can handle that part on my end, but thanks again for your input - it is greatly appreciated!

Rexlan

Your only option is to resign until they do what you think is necessary to protect your interest.

tranquility

Inconsistent with your 'risk management ' explanation is the fact that I have additionally been advised that if allegations resulting in legal action were ever taken out against me with regard to this role, it would not serve in my favor if it were revealed that I knew for many, many months that this background screening had not been conducted, but I continued to function as the den leader (even though it was not my responsibility to actually submit the application to the regional office.)
Advised by who? What was their reasoning? I've been involved with youth sports for many decades and have been on risk managment boards of review and I've never heard of such a thing. Does not being screened increase the chance *you* are going to molest a kid? How does not getting screened imply or increase any liability to you?

These things are purely CYA for the organization. Nothing more. While I know think of the children is the claim as to why, let's be realistic--CYA. There is no benefit to the person being screened. None.

xylene

Here is the thing, nothing can shield you from an 'allegation'.

If you are not comfortable with that risk, you should consider to not work with children.

I think you are falling victim to a moral panic mentality about kids and sex abuse?

Has any member of the pack ever leveled an accusation?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I have been volunteering as a den leader of a group of cub scouts for several months, and have only recently found out that the cub scout pack administrators never submitted my application as an adult leader (including the criminal/sex offender/background checks) to the regional scouting office, as they should have. I have requested at least twice that this application be submitted, but it never has. As far as our regional scout office is concerned, I am not even in their database. Without the proper documentation on file with the Boy Scouts of America, I am wondering and potentially concerned about my personal liability if an allegation of abuse, neglect, etc. should arise as a result of activities associated with this cub scout den. Should I be concerned? What should be my next move?
**A: something is wrong here. Your pack admin people do not do the checks. Your application should have been sent to the local/regional Council district who follow national BSA policy. Why did you not submit a new application directly to the regional BSA office? Your pack administrators are not following policy if your adult leader application has not been submitted. Contact your DE (district executive) for more info. You have a right to be concerned because the BSA insurance policy covers registered adult leaders. If you are not officially registered, you will not be covered under the BSA insurance.
I have been a BSA adult leader for 19 years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">