• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not sure if this is legal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

A few months ago a so called friend of mine and her family come to visit. While here she left a ring which I have kept in my Jewlery box put away. She has rencently sent me an email to give to someone else to give to her. I do not feel comfortable with this afraid she may not get it back. She then asked me to mail it and I told her no that if she wanted it she needed to either come get it or figure that out on her own she left it, it is her responsibility to figure out how to get it back. She then sent me an email saying she would seek further legal action if I did not return it. Can she do this? If so what is it she thinks she will get out of it? It may sound very petty and it is I will admit that but I do not want to invest anything else into this matter.....Help

Package up the ring, take it to the post office, and ask them to weigh it, give you the cost of the postage, along with maximum insurance, and have that cost include either Delivery Confirmation, or Return-Receipt Requested. After you have this total cost, email this person and ask her to send you a Postal Service Money Order. Not a check, not anything else.

Tell her you will send her ring as soon as you have the money order. If she wants the ring back, she will comply with your wishes. If she wants you to do it another way, tell her no. You will only send it to her with the protections built in that comes with the postal service.

Ronin

...a so called friend of mine...
She is probably thinking much the same or more about you at this point, given the PIA factor you innduced from a simple request to return a personal item.

She has rencently sent me an email to give to someone else to give to her. I do not feel comfortable with this afraid she may not get it back.
Just give it to the person she asked you to and be done with it. Its not up to you to second guess whether or not this person is reliable. Once you have given it to this person you are off the hook. You may have this person sign a simple statement saying they received it from you, if it makes you feel better.

However if you wish to be a-retentive about this, which you apparently are, then you probably need stronger legal assurances than such a simple but effective solution. At least you will have one less person to play host to in the future.

Last edited:
The only real way for her to be off the hook should the ring not be returned, would be for the owner of the ring to have a notarized statement created, naming the person to whom the ring is to be delivered to, and then a receipt from the person named to the OP, showing it actually got to the person named in the statement.

If it is an expensive ring, I wouldn't do it any other way. This would avoid any future civil matters regarding loss/theft.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">