• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure what to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lawyer101

Ok, I went to court for an assault charge on my uncle, which wasnt really an assault. So my parents ( who were against me), the prosecutor and the public defender all sat down with me and we decided that if I did 42 days in a rehab center for Alcholism then the charge would be dropped. This was stated inside the courtroom( on record). Well off the record my parents told the prosecutor and defender that they would pay for the whole rehab while I was there. Come to find out, I get out of there and I'm stuck with a $9,000 bill because they stopped paying. Can I file a civil suit against them?

Antigone*

They can only be liable for YOUR care if you are a minor.

Since you didn't tell us what state you're in ~ if you're from across the pond or from any other country ~ who the heck knows.

seniorjudge

Q: Can I file a civil suit against them?

A: Against whom? You may sue anyone for anything at any time anywhere. Whether you win is a different question.

Did you sign an agreement with the alkie place to pay the bill?

lawyer101

Sorry, I am from Ohio. I am 20 years old. I did not sign anything saying I would pay for the rehab but off the record my parents agreed to pay for the whole thing. I realize I can sue them, but does this sound like a good suit. Also where would a file this at? I am stuck with 9,000 dollars.

Antigone*

Sorry, I am from Ohio. I am 20 years old. I did not sign anything saying I would pay for the rehab but off the record my parents agreed to pay for the whole thing. I realize I can sue them, but does this sound like a good suit. Also where would a file this at? I am stuck with 9,000 dollars.
It does not sound like a good suit. You should be thanking your parents for the help you received. If YOUR drinking drove you to the point that you required this type of intervention then it is YOUR responsibility.

It is a shame, you are only 20 years old ~ not even of legal drinking age. Your parents must be so sad ~ I'd be.

Rexlan

You have no case. You got a break and now you want to stiff your folks for it ... a real piece of work you are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">