• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Older Son Being Discriminated Against

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seberly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My older son in the one being discriminated against by a soccer club regarding a situation that doesn't even involve him. It involves my younger son and the team he played for. My older son has been playing for Soccer Club A for approximately 3 years now.

My youngest son was to start the Fall Season 2015, with Soccer Club B. He was carded for the team that was part of Soccer Club B, and issued a US Players Card validated by XYZ league. Before any games began there was a falling out with the coach of that team and we decided to transfer to Soccer Club A, which my son is allowed to do under Players Right to Choose. The coach from Soccer Club B provided us a copy of his membership form, signed transfer form and the Player Card which was issued by Club B.

I provided both documents and his Player Card to the Team Administrator with his new team at Soccer Club A. The documents were kept and the player card issued by Club A and validated by XYZ league was eventually returned to me. The Team Administrator should've entered him into the system as a transfer player and a new membership form printed, however looking back I don't recall ever signing one, but I may have and I have noway of knowing if they properly entered him into the system (don't have access to that information). Anyways a new US Players Card was issued by Club B and was validated by ABC league, because the new team played in a different league.

Anyways, my younger son guest played in a league game for a different team with Soccer Club A, and used the card that was issued by Club A and validated by XYZ league. I didn't see anything wrong with this because the card had been returned to me and issued by Club A was with XYZ league and the card issued by Club B was issued by ABC league. Apparently this is a violation of rules because you can't be carded for two different clubs for a league games however you can be for tournament games. Club B should've retained his Player Card issued by Club A, and never given back to me.

His new team is joining XYZ league. I asked his coach for his players card for the new season, and he referred me to the team administrator, the team administrator then referred me to the league representative (the one who should be dealing with this mess) he then referred me to the Director of Coaching. I spoke to him last night and he stated XYZ league will not issue him a new card and that he is being sanctioned. The Board of Directors at Club B met to discuss the situation and they felt the only fair solution was to not allow my older son to play for the club and he didn't do anything wrong. My older son has a validated players card issued by ABC league which valid for the 2015/16 season. So their denying him the right to play with a valid card for the spring season.

Does my older son have any recourse? Does my younger son have any recourse?

I did look up the registration checklist for transferred players and each applicable box was to literally be checked and signed by the coach of his new team, and literally be double checked and signed by the league registrar. It clearly states the Old Player Card issued by Club B was to be included in the submitted paperwork. I was not provided a copy of this form because it's internal paperwork that doesn't need to be reviewed or signed by me. According to Ohio Law phone calls can be recorded provided one of the parties is aware and the conversation is being recorded and the call with the Director of Coaching is recorded.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

You'll have to work your way up the management of the league to appeal sanctions. You appear to have no legal basis to force their hand.

tranquility

While it has been a few years, I was a club Registrar of a large club with teams who played in a major Southern California League affiliated with USYSA so I have some familiarity with the rules you are talking about. As in most registration problems, things are FUBAR and it is difficult to know the correct resolution. Here, I agree YOU were not the SOLE problem. There are others who have some responsibility. But, just because others have some responsibility does not relieve you/your son from knowing and adhering to registration rules as agreed by you on the signing of registration forms.

Registration cards are a big deal for liability and affiliation reasons. There have been lawsuits in regards to playing on an invalid card, even when the problem is not obvious. Also, you must remember that the registration rules are designed to accommodate fair competition not only within smaller leagues, but also in tournaments that can include international teams as well as the state or national competitions. Trying to assure fair competition requires a fairly ridged adherence to the rules and teams, leagues, state organizations and even national organizations don't always have a lot of room to accommodate errors without risking sanctions. All that is to say, I don't see what you can do to help out younger son. You can appeal under the rules of the organizational hierarchy you are under; but the higher you go, the less willing those in power are willing to make accommodations. It is the nature of the beast.

As to older son, I am uncertain as to the reasons presented as to why he cannot play. Is it the team? Is it the league? I agree his card is still valid. Now, having a valid card does not mean a player has a right to play. A club can be controlled by league rules including decisions by administrators. Without knowing the actual reasoning I can't guess as to the path to take. (The why, not the what. You went into detail in the what.) I know I would not be throwing around the term "discrimination" as that will put up walls and require strict adherence to appellate procedure for any chance and little chance there unless the why is clearly inappropriate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">