• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Open civil judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kcolemire

I was the defendant in a civil case in 2009 and lost. The plaintiff in my case changed all contact information after the ruling and also never contacted me about the payment. I am looking to get a mortgage and this open claim is in my credit report. It has not been taken to collections because the plaintiff has not pursued it. In my attempts to find him, he is located in the New York State prison system until 2025. Can I get this judgement closed?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was the defendant in a civil case in 2009 and lost. The plaintiff in my case changed all contact information after the ruling and also never contacted me about the payment. I am looking to get a mortgage and this open claim is in my credit report. It has not been taken to collections because the plaintiff has not pursued it. In my attempts to find him, he is located in the New York State prison system until 2025. Can I get this judgement closed?
Sure - pay what you owe. You may need to pay it directly to the court and have them hold it for the Judgment Creditor. Explore that.

Proserpina

If you pay it off, yes.

If not, he still has time to start collection efforts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">