• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Opening Statement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mullins4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)SC

Preparing for trial where I am the plaintiff and representing myself. Could someone please help me with a couple of questions?

1. During your opening statement can you quote from transcripts of hearings in the same case? During testimony can you quote from transcripts of hearings in the same case?

2. During your opening statement can you reference information from other cases the defendant was involved in? During testimony can you quote from pleadings from the other cases? I do have certified copies of these case files.

Any and all answers will be deeply appreciatedWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)SC

Preparing for trial where I am the plaintiff and representing myself. Could someone please help me with a couple of questions?

1. During your opening statement can you quote from transcripts of hearings in the same case? During testimony can you quote from transcripts of hearings in the same case?

2. During your opening statement can you reference information from other cases the defendant was involved in? During testimony can you quote from pleadings from the other cases? I do have certified copies of these case files.

Any and all answers will be deeply appreciatedWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

**A: yes, here is your opening statement: Your Honor and members of the jury****************************..

nrknlknek

I obviously understand that the OP(s) on this forum are trying to avert retaining counsel for economic reasons. I get it. That said, going pro se in an actual trial, if that is what you are doing, strikes me as comparable to doing your own root canal. It's technically legal, but I think most folks would agree that going to a Dentist, while clearly more expensive in the short run, just might yield a more desirable ultimate result! In other words, get a lawyer and let he/she worry about the opening statement,

Mullins4

Another Question?

In this action my wife is also a plaintiff. We cannot represent one another, but I know they are only going to allow one opening and one closing statement. However, when we each are giving our testimony, will we be allowed to question one another, or will we each have to just give our testimony, without any questioning, except by the other sides attorney of course.

If we give testimony without questioning, will we be allowed to have notes? That is also when we will each introduce the evidence we have the knowledge of.

HomeGuru

I obviously understand that the OP(s) on this forum are trying to avert retaining counsel for economic reasons. I get it. That said, going pro se in an actual trial, if that is what you are doing, strikes me as comparable to doing your own root canal. It's technically legal, but I think most folks would agree that going to a Dentist, while clearly more expensive in the short run, just might yield a more desirable ultimate result! In other words, get a lawyer and let he/she worry about the opening statement,
**A: ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!

HomeGuru

In this action my wife is also a plaintiff. We cannot represent one another, but I know they are only going to allow one opening and one closing statement. However, when we each are giving our testimony, will we be allowed to question one another, or will we each have to just give our testimony, without any questioning, except by the other sides attorney of course.

If we give testimony without questioning, will we be allowed to have notes? That is also when we will each introduce the evidence we have the knowledge of.
**A: this is another reason or two why you should not represent yourselves.

Mullins4

Guidance

Thanks HomeGuru, as I said, I appreciate any response.

I'm sure the suggestion to get an attorney is heart felt. However, that is not an option. When I ask for advice, I would love to get it, but I am already preparing for the different options I asked about in my question. I have no knowledge about just how things are elsewhere, but in this state there is a genuine problem happening on a continuing basis because we have a lawyer controlled state, and the dishonest contractors have their dishonest attorneys ready to cover their dishonesty. Our state regulators and our county regulators seem afraid to enforce our laws, particularly if an offender is politically connected, or has a politically connected attorney. My almost three year adventure in this case has been time consuming for an old man, but more comfortable than a foxhole was for a young Marine at times.

In South Carolina the people have got to learn to fight back, so they need to know its possible to do it. That is my goal.

If you are a Christian, but have no advice, I would appreciate your prayers more, because God's guidance is what I have to depend on.

SIN EATER

Well said, Mullins.

The Opening Statement is not supposed to be argumentative; it is supposed to be a 'roadmap' of the proof you will present at trial.

That said, every lawyer tries to argue as much as possible in the opening.
'Argumentative' (a valid objection) can be overcome by your use of language:
Refer to the fact that 'evidence will prove that', or 'testimony from X and Y will show that' ... It's not argumentative if it's descriptive of the evidence you will produce.

The most effective openings are those which tell a story, rather than just a recitation of dry facts

If you are producing proof, at trial, of a 'pattern of misbehavior', you may be able to describe the history of misbehavior by the defendant.

Try your case to a jury, not the bench (Judge).

Practice your argument in front of some friends and neighbors who will give you honest feedback.
Videotape yourself - everyone has quirky mannerisms which they are unaware of (um, um, ... er, er ... & repeating answers) until they see themselves arguing or giving a speech.

Try to paint a story for the jury; look for a 'hook' - a central theme for the story (all contractors are dishonest is too broad - be specific - Mr X is dishonest and hurts innocent people...) Try to make it interesting for the jury.

You shouldn't refer to anything in opening which you don't/can't prove during your case-in-chief (happens often, sometimes opposing counsel will list, in their closing statement, all the things you failed to prove which you promised in the opening).

Good luck to you.
Plan your case out; outline what you want to prove (issue by issue) & what evidence or witnesses or specific statement you will need to prove that issue/element (bricks, building a wall - one on top of the other).
Constantly make notes (now) for what you want to say in your closing argument. Many lawyers will work on their close, then work on their opening statement (Go over your proof well; cover all the proof in the opening).
There may be a litigator in your area, who (probably for an hourly amt) will listen to your case (opening, description of proof, close) and possibly give some tips & advice. Call your local Bar Association for a referral to a low-cost plaintiff's contruction defect attorney (I assume it's contruction defect).
Check your local courthouse for any cases against your opponent in the past. If there are some, review the file (you may want to call the attorney who opposed that contractor; sometimes attys will share info regarding opponents).
Do a trial notebook (spiral binder; use separate sections for opening, items to be proved - witnesses to call & what evidence they will authenticate and their necessary testimony, page for each witness, exhibits to be introduced and entered into evidence, closing, opponents expected cross & case, etc.).

Mullins4

Very Helpful Information

Thanks Sin Eater,

Helpful information is very hard to find. I appreciate it. Your name (Sin Eater) indicates that if you were in my area, your plate would be full.

W

Willlyjo

Yeh...get a lawyer and pay his outrageous fees until you can't afford it nomore!! Seriously, it is possible that some people can with confidence handle their own case.

SIN EATER

Best of luck, Mullins,
'SinEater' comes from my father's country, Ireland: a person hired (during famine times) to come to a funeral where food was spread on the coffin. In
eating (and taking) the food, the SinEater assumed all the sins of the dead.

And that is the best definition of a 'lawyer' I have ever found.
Slainte, and Happy St. Patrick's Day !

You Are Guilty

Seriously, it is possible that some people can with confidence handle their own case.
And it's just as likely that some people with confidence can fill their own cavities, or remove their own appendix. (Of course, those same people will have much better results if they let an expert do it for them, but who wants to pay for good results?)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">