• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Options after non-payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curious in co

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

This is a tenant – landlord case in Colorado for which I am the plaintiff (landlord). I received a monetary judgment against the defendant. I filed a motion for contempt when the defendant did not return the interrogatories. This was granted and we set a court date. The defendant appeared in court, so we were sent to mediation. The defendant filled out the interrogatories during mediation and we agreed to a stipulation which laid out a payment plan with details on how the defendant shall make payments, due date, etc. The first payment is now 8 days past due.

My options as I see it are:
1) Write or call the defendant and ask for payment; likely leading nowhere.
2) Attempt to garnish a bank account. There is likely very little, if any money in it; if the account is even still open.

The defendant is self-employed, providing elder care, and I would have to garnish her pay through service on elders. Very difficult.

I am also thinking that the stipulation is a court order. If that is the case, then perhaps I can file another motion for contempt, and see if the judge will sign off.

I really can’t think of anything else to do, so I thought I would seek advice here. I ultimately just want the money due to me.

Thank you for any advice you may have.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

This is a tenant – landlord case in Colorado for which I am the plaintiff (landlord). I received a monetary judgment against the defendant. I filed a motion for contempt when the defendant did not return the interrogatories. This was granted and we set a court date. The defendant appeared in court, so we were sent to mediation. The defendant filled out the interrogatories during mediation and we agreed to a stipulation which laid out a payment plan with details on how the defendant shall make payments, due date, etc. The first payment is now 8 days past due.

My options as I see it are:
1) Write or call the defendant and ask for payment; likely leading nowhere.
2) Attempt to garnish a bank account. There is likely very little, if any money in it; if the account is even still open.

The defendant is self-employed, providing elder care, and I would have to garnish her pay through service on elders. Very difficult.

I am also thinking that the stipulation is a court order. If that is the case, then perhaps I can file another motion for contempt, and see if the judge will sign off.

I really can’t think of anything else to do, so I thought I would seek advice here. I ultimately just want the money due to me.

Thank you for any advice you may have.
Here is a link that provides information on collecting on a judgment in Colorado: http://www.collectyourjudgment.org/states/Colorado/

It is often harder to collect on a judgment than to obtain the judgment. Good luck.

curious in co

Here is a link that provides information on collecting on a judgment in Colorado: http://www.collectyourjudgment.org/states/Colorado/

It is often harder to collect on a judgment than to obtain the judgment. Good luck.
Thank you quincy.

I am very aware of how difficult it is to collect, unfortunately. I have actually just revived this judgement.

The last contempt citation and the possibility of a bench warrant got the defendant's attention, so I may go that route again since the stipulation is an order of the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">