• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oral Agreement in Small Claims Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MAnanny

What is the name of your state? MA

I am taking my former employer to small claims court for non-payment of wages. They have a counterclaim that by quitting I cost them money. I never had a contract for employment with them. Verbally we agreed to many conditions of employment (a written contract being one of them, but not the length of time I was required to give before quitting). I worked for 2 months before I finally let them know they needed to follow through on their promises by the end of the week or I would leave. When they didn't, I quit.

I am concerned that they will try and prove we had an oral agreement and that I violated it by not giving 2 weeks notice. What do they need to do to prove this? What can I do?

Thanks!

MAnanny

Employed Indefinitely

The written contract they had promised to provide me would have detailed the specifics of my job and been for a particular period of time (other contracts I've had in this line of work have been for one year) with the option to renew at the end of the period (as in I would not have been terminated when my contract expired)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">