• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Other Driver Provides False Info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SallyX

What is the name of your state? Florida
Another driver rolls through a stop sign and hits my vehicle. A few small dents and scratches, about $750-$800 damages, according to the estimate I received. No damage to the other vehicle. No injuries. No other passengers in either vehicle.
Other driver gets out and says, "I'm sorry. I'll pay for this. My foot slipped off the pedal."
He then proceeds to write for me his drivers license info, name and address, home and cell phone numbers, tag number, and Allstate insurance policy number. Before parting, he tells me to call him because he wants to resolve this quickly, and without using his insurance company. The police were not called to the scene. A few hours later in the day I went to the local precinct and filed an accident report.
That evening I call him on his cell phone. I explain that I already have an estimate from the dealership where I want to have the work done. When I told him the amount he said he had a friend who could do it much less expensively. I told him I want to use an approved, licensed business of my choosing. He asked me to fax him the estimate and he'd be back in touch with me tomorrow.
Here's where the problems started. The fax number provided is not working. His cell phone number is now "temporarily disconnected". And Allstate has no record of this individual or the address he provided or the policy number. I have left two messages at the home number he provided, but he hasn't returned my calls. Clearly, this guy is looking to skate away from his responsibilities. The police have already told me they are not involved in this, and that it is a civil matter.
Do I have any legal recourse against this individual? Is it even worth it? I have uninsured motorist coverage and can have the repairs done. But I hate the idea of this individual walking without paying.
Thank you.

Last edited:

tijerin

Sure you have recourse, IF you can find him, and IF you can prove he hit your car (assuming he admits it), and IF he has assets you can take. My suggestion would be to go to your insurance company, explain what happened, give them all the information, and let them relentlessly track the person down to get their money back (cause they will and have more resources than you do). If/when they succeed, you can get documentation that the accident/claim was not your fault and (at least in California) prevent your insurance premiums from increasing. Good luck!

By the way, did you ever SEE any of the documents he "wrote down for you"? (ie drivers license, insurance card, etc)? Do you know if this guy is even who he "said" he was?

SallyX

tijerin said:
Sure you have recourse, IF you can find him, and IF you can prove he hit your car (assuming he admits it), and IF he has assets you can take. My suggestion would be to go to your insurance company, explain what happened, give them all the information, and let them relentlessly track the person down to get their money back (cause they will and have more resources than you do). If/when they succeed, you can get documentation that the accident/claim was not your fault and (at least in California) prevent your insurance premiums from increasing. Good luck!

By the way, did you ever SEE any of the documents he "wrote down for you"? (ie drivers license, insurance card, etc)? Do you know if this guy is even who he "said" he was?
No, I did not SEE those documents. The reason being he did not want to provide them for me. I was immediately suspicious, of course, but did not have my cell phone at the time or I would have contacted the police then and there.
However, I think that the info he did provide in his own handwriting is proof he was there at the scene of the accident. I have already been able to verify his home address and his place of employment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">