• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of State Subpoena

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rklem01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I currently reside in Massachusetts but over the summer I workerd as a booking officer in Maryland. A subpoena was sent to my parent's address, which is in Maine. I called the State's Attorney's office in Maryland questioning the validity of service. They said that it was sent to the police department where I worked at, which means it was valid service and it was my fault that I didn't give the police department my new address. Is this valid service??

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Ronin

Depends...

On who issued the subpoena, what the subpoena is for, whether or not you are a party to the case...

rklem01

The State's Attorney's office issued the subpoena and it is to provide a deposition in court because there are no written depositions in court. Lastly, I'm not sure what you mean by being a "party" to the case...

Tania123

Its up to the plaintiff to do their due diligence on where you live. Just because the police department where you work did not have your current address is irrelevent.

They should've hired an investigator and sent something certified mail, or had it hand delivered to you.

Whatever judgements come up as a result of this will be invalid. And to secure judgement, again, the plaintiff has to prove that you were properly served.

rklem01

Well im supposed to be a witness of the state. Don't they have to send a subpoena to the court district that I live in and then I have to testify in my district an undue burden, and then it is at that time that they can either issue a subpoena in another state or not...?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">