• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal delivery of mail to the Judge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stockton

What is the name of your state? Calif.

At a recent hearing in a san francisco court for a demurr to a civil action, the judge told me that he did not have the filing papers so the hearing had been postponed ten days. He said, although the papers (the Demurr, the Opposition, etc.) had been filed, no one delivered a copy to him. Therefore, he had not read the case. He said I had to deliver a copy to him or to his courtroom. As I had a copy of my Opposition I gave that to the Clerk.

My questions are: Why do I have to deliver a copy to the judge? Why would any courthouse not deliver copies of the filed action to the judge? :) How can a hearing be even calendared if the judge hasn't received the papers? And how can any court expect a person to travel to the court to serve papers directly to the court-ROOM!?

JETX

stockton said:
[Why do I have to deliver a copy to the judge?
You didn't have to. As long as they were in the file, they clerk could have provided them.

Why would any courthouse not deliver copies of the filed action to the judge? :) How can a hearing be even calendared if the judge hasn't received the papers? And how can any court expect a person to travel to the court to serve papers directly to the court-ROOM!?
Simple answer.... because no matter how high the court, there are still fallible humans involved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">