• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petition vs. motion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

azgrandpa

What is the name of your state? AZ

I have seen many times the, seemingly, interchangeable use of the words "Petition" & "Motion".

I don't want to get into "legal advice"; so I'll try to present this in a non-legal manner so that someone can respond!

It's my opinion that, a Petition is used to initiate a court action and a Motion is used to "steer the court" to it's final decision.

Right, wrong, sort of right? Just curious!

JETX

"It's my opinion that, a Petition is used to initiate a court action and a Motion is used to "steer the court" to it's final decision."
*** Close.

petition
a formal written request to a court for an order of the court. It is distinguished from a complaint in a lawsuit which asks for damages and/or performance by the opposing party. Petitions include demands for writs, orders to show cause, modifications of prior orders, continuances, dismissal of a case, reduction of bail in criminal cases, a decree of distribution of an estate, appointment of a guardian, and a host of other matters arising in legal actions.

motion
a formal request made to a judge for an order or judgment. Motions are made in court all the time for many purposes: to continue (postpone) a trial to a later date, to get a modification of an order, for temporary child support, for a judgment, for dismissal of the opposing party's case, for a rehearing, for sanctions (payment of the moving party's costs or attorney's fees), or for dozens of other purposes. Most motions require a written petition, a written brief of legal reasons for granting the motion (often called "points and authorities"), written notice to the attorney for the opposing party and a hearing before a judge. However, during a trial or a hearing, an oral motion may be permitted.

complaint
the first document filed with the court (actually with the County Clerk or Clerk of the Court) by a person or entity claiming legal rights against another.

azgrandpa

Thanks JETX for the prompt reply! It's a little more complex than I thought. But, of course, what isn't in the world of LAW!

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">