• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible to sue Universities & Professor's?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pdcva

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

Long one here..apologize in advance!

Student went back to state supported public institution to get an advanced degree. After trying to resolve a communication problem with the professor the student had reached an impass and decided to take problem to the Dean in the middle of the semester. At the end of the class / year professor accusses a group of students of cheating & copying each others works and papers of which this student was deemed the "ring-leader" by the professor.

5 works in "question". 4 tests which consisted of multiple choice, open book, open notes, take home exams. 1 "paper" which was a critique of an article which had a predetermined layout to a set of questions given by the professor. Professor charged the group with cheating on all 5 works at the end of the semester preventing the student from graduating and costing student promotion at work place (had to have the advanced degree to hold position) as well as the tuition reimbursement from employer.

Details. Only one of the 5 grades were the same for the group of students, on one of the tests. All other grades were different (the balance were right on the class average for the entire classroom as was the grade the group had the same). After the accusation was made student sought professional opinions and had 2 Professional Independent Consulting Agencies perform Statistical Analysis. Both reported the same thing, absolutely no indication, not even a hint, that "group" did anything different then the entire class. 2 different recognized scientific theorems were used to establish that fact (both used in courts of law). Received an analysis from a Head of a seperate University Statistical Department that the professor could have choosen any subset of students and try to imply they "cheated" as everybody in the class answered the vast majority of the questions (right and wrong) the same way. Additionally the professor in question did not examine the entire class data until AFTER presented with these reports. Both agencies that did reports said the professor committed several CARDINAL sins of statistic's and acted recklessly in the accusations.

On the critique the professor admitted they did not even read all the other papers to determine if there where similarities. Professor admitted the TA graded "some" papers, they graded "others". Professor runs a plagiarism computer program on the group of papers to determine the level of cheating...however they refuse to run the entire class. After petitioning school to release the other papers they were run in the computer and the majority of "non accussed" papers had MORE similarities between them then the accussed papers!!!!

After thousands of dollars in "defense" and roughly a year later student is found not guilty of all charges. Under the system the student still had to petition the professor to get the grade changed and ultimately the dean interviened and changed the grade. Then the school says since the student has been out so long on what they call "leave of absence" to get the degree student has to pay $125.00 to "enroll" to get the degree.

Couple of problems I am having with this. Under the schools system the professor is obligated / mandated to initiate honor charges at the time of the offense..yet the 5 charges were not made until the end of the year. Have been told that since student was found not guilty the "System" worked and we have no legal grounds after that. 2 outside independant agencies said professor (who claimed herself as expert witness at trial for statistic's) violated almost every tenent of statistic's and her charges would be considered reckless and entirely negligent in academia and legally.

If I am not mistaking (and I might be) Lawyers, Doctors, etc have MINIMUM standards of conduct they must meet or could be held liable. How can college professors be exempt from this same standard??? We are of the opinion the professor acted out of contempt for student for taking complaints to the Dean. Clear from the evidence in the trial and outside reviews the professor clearly acted with disregard to any academic standards before making accusations. The professor used the system as a weapon. We have volume's of data to show this and after the hell we've been thru the professor still has the capability to use the system as a weapon against other students they disagree with. Am willing to try to ensure they don't get another opportunity to try and ruin another students life.

Any comments / suggestions or is our information that there's nothing we can do about it accurate?

S

seniorjudge

Well, you probably should sue your English teacher for not showing you the difference between possessives and plurals.

If this post is an example of your writing, then I am amazed that you didn't flunk out altogether.

Maybe you could revise this into clear and concise English so we could understand what you are talking about.

Cut it in half and ask three questions and write in the first person.

seniorjudge said:

Well, you probably should sue your English teacher for not showing you the difference between possessives and plurals.

If this post is an example of your writing, then I am amazed that you didn't flunk out altogether.

Maybe you could revise this into clear and concise English so we could understand what you are talking about.

Cut it in half and ask three questions and write in the first person.
Now judge, let’s not be hasty and *accusse* this fella of illiteracy. Maybe we need a *seperate, independant* review of the facts to resolve the *impass.*

pdcva

maybe the "judge" should practice up on law so he wouldn't be an internet junkie looking for crumbs online...was informed by a real lawyer we couldn't use names..of course if you spent more time inside a real court room versus your comic books you might have known that.

pdcva

and john is so prolific with the use of the english language his "practice" is going so well he too is stuck searching the internet for crumbs...why pimps and ho's have better Q ratings then you would

S

seniorjudge

pdcva said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

Long one here..apologize in advance!

Student went back to state supported public institution to get an advanced degree. After trying to resolve a communication problem with the professor the student had reached an impass and decided to take problem to the Dean in the middle of the semester. At the end of the class / year professor accusses a group of students of cheating & copying each others works and papers of which this student was deemed the "ring-leader" by the professor.

5 works in "question". 4 tests which consisted of multiple choice, open book, open notes, take home exams. 1 "paper" which was a critique of an article which had a predetermined layout to a set of questions given by the professor. Professor charged the group with cheating on all 5 works at the end of the semester preventing the student from graduating and costing student promotion at work place (had to have the advanced degree to hold position) as well as the tuition reimbursement from employer.

Details. Only one of the 5 grades were the same for the group of students, on one of the tests. All other grades were different (the balance were right on the class average for the entire classroom as was the grade the group had the same). After the accusation was made student sought professional opinions and had 2 Professional Independent Consulting Agencies perform Statistical Analysis. Both reported the same thing, absolutely no indication, not even a hint, that "group" did anything different then the entire class. 2 different recognized scientific theorems were used to establish that fact (both used in courts of law). Received an analysis from a Head of a seperate University Statistical Department that the professor could have choosen any subset of students and try to imply they "cheated" as everybody in the class answered the vast majority of the questions (right and wrong) the same way. Additionally the professor in question did not examine the entire class data until AFTER presented with these reports. Both agencies that did reports said the professor committed several CARDINAL sins of statistic's and acted recklessly in the accusations.

On the critique the professor admitted they did not even read all the other papers to determine if there where similarities. Professor admitted the TA graded "some" papers, they graded "others". Professor runs a plagiarism computer program on the group of papers to determine the level of cheating...however they refuse to run the entire class. After petitioning school to release the other papers they were run in the computer and the majority of "non accussed" papers had MORE similarities between them then the accussed papers!!!!

After thousands of dollars in "defense" and roughly a year later student is found not guilty of all charges. Under the system the student still had to petition the professor to get the grade changed and ultimately the dean interviened and changed the grade. Then the school says since the student has been out so long on what they call "leave of absence" to get the degree student has to pay $125.00 to "enroll" to get the degree.

Couple of problems I am having with this. Under the schools system the professor is obligated / mandated to initiate honor charges at the time of the offense..yet the 5 charges were not made until the end of the year. Have been told that since student was found not guilty the "System" worked and we have no legal grounds after that. 2 outside independant agencies said professor (who claimed herself as expert witness at trial for statistic's) violated almost every tenent of statistic's and her charges would be considered reckless and entirely negligent in academia and legally.

If I am not mistaking (and I might be) Lawyers, Doctors, etc have MINIMUM standards of conduct they must meet or could be held liable. How can college professors be exempt from this same standard??? We are of the opinion the professor acted out of contempt for student for taking complaints to the Dean. Clear from the evidence in the trial and outside reviews the professor clearly acted with disregard to any academic standards before making accusations. The professor used the system as a weapon. We have volume's of data to show this and after the hell we've been thru the professor still has the capability to use the system as a weapon against other students they disagree with. Am willing to try to ensure they don't get another opportunity to try and ruin another students life.

Any comments / suggestions or is our information that there's nothing we can do about it accurate?

Actually, your whole problem could've been solved if you had brought all your research notes into the prof.

...was informed by a real lawyer we couldn't use names..

BTW, "first person" means "I and me," not names.

pdcva

The replies of Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dee of the "legal" profession confirms most peoples suspicions on here that any advice you might get here is by the bottom feeders of their profession's. Answer the questions moron's or keep your flipant remarks to yourself. People want advice, not english tutoring. Nobody thinks you're cute or engaging. Your replies scream "I'm an A-Hole", not "look how smart I am". If you would work harder you might actually progress past traffic court "judge" and "john"...keep working buddy...one day soon you might be able to pay off those credit card debt's from your online phoenix "law" degree and actually get to stop taking court appointed and filing SR22's in the "judge's" court.

pdcva

Actually, your whole problem could've been solved if you had brought all your research notes into the prof.

The school would not let the professor have any contact with us once they filed charges. Research notes had nothing to do with this. It is the professors responsibility to act prudently and without bias...the problem wasn't the notes, the problem was the professors outright bias.

pdcva

BTW, "first person" means "I and me," not names.[/QUOTE]

We were informed to leave gender out...if you can stop trying to prove your command of the english language and answer the questions people might actually take you more serious "judge" larry, moe, and curly.

Alias_joe

I knew it-

I'm gonna love this place :D

Back to the Q's- for $125 bux why sweat it?

Get on with some other things.

I don't think you can sue the Prof. and get anywhere because the Univ. would be in the loop and defend anyway.
2cents

pdcva

I'm gonna love this place :D

Back to the Q's- for $125 bux why sweat it?

Get on with some other things.

I don't think you can sue the Prof. and get anywhere because the Univ. would be in the loop and defend anyway.
2cents

Thats just for the "degree"..the cost of the outside agencies...temp workers typing in papers into the plagarism program...lost income from promotion...we're talking BIG $ here.

I don't care for a pennies reimbursement...I want to make an example of the professor....they can NOT use the system as a weapon which is what happened here...this "school" has self-indulgent prima donnas who think they are emperors and when challenged find ways to go for the kill against those who challenge them. In this instance even after being found not guilty the professor wouldn't change the grade..the Dean had to. The professor needs to be taught a lesson or like a Cobra she will strike again.

rmet4nzkx

By all means take your case to an attorney and see if they will take it on contingency, if they won't, your best bet is small claims court. Proving bias is difficult especially when you are not a protected class.

In so far as damages in your employment, you knew the requirements when you undertook the degree program and the employer is under no obligation to continue the offer if you fail to perform as required. Given what I have read here, they are thanking their lucky stars they don't have your increased risk to deal with. Be grateful to have a job.

BTW, in cases like these SJ is correct, providing the original research notes will usually resolve the issue.

pdcva

BTW, in cases like these SJ is correct, providing the original research notes will usually resolve the issue.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input. There were no research notes. There were 4 tests that were all multiple choice, open notes, open book. There was 1 paper that was a critique (same article to be answered by an outline the professor handed out). My original intent was to get enough evidence to simply have my wife found not guilty on all charges (she was). However after getting multiple outside agencies (Statistic Agencies) involved they ALL came to the conclusion this was a "witch hunt" against my wife. The evidence was clearly against the professor's charges. The professor admitted she didn't even do comparison's on the tests until our professional statisticians had turned their reports in. Professor admitted during the trial she didn't even read all the critique's to compare similarities.

Bottom line was the professor had an axe to grind because the student went to the Dean. If I can't "fight" back legally what about taking the fight to newpapers? I've had contact (they came to me) with an AP writer?

rmet4nzkx

Now after all this convoluted vagueness you admit that this is not you but rather your wife! OMG!

We need facts to give appropriate advice, personally, I pity your poor wife, what a burden she must be under having to deal with this dissapointment and your overbearing interest.

Pay the graduation fee, this is reasonable and customary. Please, quit putting stress on her and let her move forward with her life. If she wants to sue, let her seek the consultation of an attorney who can evaluate the unique aspects of her case and refer he appropriately.

Don't talk to newspapers without discussing the case with an attorney if she is seeking legal recourse. Taking legal action can be very stressfull, that is her decision, not yours.

pdcva

Now after all this convoluted vagueness you admit that this is not you but rather your wife! OMG!

Vague on purpose..you people are the "experts" (lol)...ask a question if its vague. Aren't you an attorney? Isn't that what you do? Ask questions if you have some.

We need facts to give appropriate advice, personally, I pity your poor wife, what a burden she must be under having to deal with this dissapointment and your overbearing interest.

I pity your spouse that you wouldn't be interested in their life...of course since you are so self indulgent in your "successful" practice you wouldn't understand personal relationships.

Pay the graduation fee, this is reasonable and customary. Please, quit putting stress on her and let her move forward with her life. If she wants to sue, let her seek the consultation of an attorney who can evaluate the unique aspects of her case and refer he appropriately.

They already waived the graduation fee after we complained. So I guess its not too customary

Don't talk to newspapers without discussing the case with an attorney if she is seeking legal recourse. Taking legal action can be very stressfull, that is her decision, not yours.[/QUOTE]

Do you think I haven't been consulting with my wife on this issue...I would suggest your lack of understanding of personal relationships will hinder your professional performance

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">