• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

posting pictures without consent.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

james_in_cali

What is the name of your state? california

How do I go about suing someone that has posted very personal pictures of me on the internet? I'm not sure who actually sent the pictures to the various websites... but I have had them removed from most, but some websites refuse to remove them. I'm not sure where their servers are located, and not sure it matters. I have asked them several times to remove them via e-mail and they ignore my requests. I know get the e-mails, because I sent them an e-mail from another account asking a general question and get a reply right away. These are highly embarrassing pictures and have caused me great embarrassment and I want to know what I can do to get them removed.

I'm wondering what I would sue the owners of the websites for exactly, and what do I need to do.

Thanks

J

james_in_cali

The pictures were taken from a webcam on a computer, while I didn't realize it. I don't know who took them. I'm not looking to go after the person who took them, as I will more then likely never know who did, I just want to make the people who are hosting them remove them and if not, take some sort of legal action.

Thanks

badapple40

Looks like there may be a basis to go after them under an invasion of privacy or misappropriation of image without permission basis.

You are seeking not just money damages, but an order telling them to take it down, e.g. injunctive relief. I'd say its time to see an attorney.

stephenk

"The pictures were taken from a webcam on a computer, while I didn't realize it. I don't know who took them."

Who's computer was it? Your first complaint would be against the person who took them, not the website. If the website received a release from the owner of the photos regarding ownership of the photos, your beef is with the person/s who took the photos in the first place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">