• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Previous owner did not disclose salvage title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PAs14vet

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Live in PA, issue in SC

Ok so here is what is going on;

I recently purchased a project vehicle from South Carolina, I am from Pennsylvania. When I bought the car (for $3850), they signed the back of the title and handed it to me. There was not one thing on the title indicating it was a "salvage" or "rebuilt" vehicle (had a "clean" title). When I went to put the title in my name back here in PA, I was told the vehicle has a salvage history and will need to be brought back to OEM condition (exactly as it came from the factory) and be inspected before it can be titled in my name. The previous owner ensured me multiple times that this vehicle had never been in an accident, and because of he & his family's credentials (his father is an auto-body shop owner/manager) I believed him and did not purchase a vehicle history report. It would literally be impossible for me to put this vehicle back to OEM condition as it is so far modified from it's original factory specifications that it would be extremely cost prohibitive for something like that to be done. Because the title the previous owner gave me does not have a "rebuilt" or "salvage" brand on it I believe the salvage history was scrubbed from the title at some point. I'm not sure if it was the previous owner or one of the owners before him. I am completely at a loss as to what I can do at this point and was wondering if there was any legal action I could take at this point or if I have a case at all. The previous owner is telling me that "I got what I paid for" and that I didn't buy anything I didn't inspect. His family owns a body shop & they repainted the car, I bought the car with a full interior & only after I removed the interior did I find even the slightest sign of possible accident damage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">