• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem with an Ex room mate (need help asap!)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kcgiggles1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Ok here is my situation:

I am a single 20 year old female college student who got in a lease with a friend for an apartment. The second month we had the apartment, my room mate could not pay her part of the rent. I paid it, I also loaned her money for other things that she needed, as she had a job and we were on good terms at the time. The next month she was $50 short on the rent, and had not paid back anything she owed me. During this last month, she also went with me to arron's to get a dell tablet as she was going back to college. I put it in my name, I know that was dumb, but I did as I had a discount for something I had purchased from them in the past. Anyway after months of not getting any money back, and her not paying her part of the rent, I moved out, and I gave her and the leasing office notice. Arrons is coming after me to pay for the tablet, I went back to the apartment as my name is still on the lease to get the tablet. I had to call a police officer as she locked me out. She told the police officer that she had left it at a friends house, and would return it to arrons the next day. That was over 2 weeks ago.

Now I have had to pay a payment to Arron's for the tablet or they would take me to court. and the leasing office is taking us both to court, as after I left she didn't pay anything towards the rent. I tried to call the police and they told me as for the tablet that is not theft but it is a civil matter.

What should I do, I was trying to be a good friend/person, and have gotten screwed. Now I am just trying to get out of these contracts with this girl, and get atleast some of my money back. PLEASE HELP ASAP!!

Thank you so much in advance.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Ok here is my situation:

I am a single 20 year old female college student who got in a lease with a friend for an apartment. The second month we had the apartment, my room mate could not pay her part of the rent. I paid it, I also loaned her money for other things that she needed, as she had a job and we were on good terms at the time. The next month she was $50 short on the rent, and had not paid back anything she owed me. During this last month, she also went with me to arron's to get a dell tablet as she was going back to college. I put it in my name, I know that was dumb, but I did as I had a discount for something I had purchased from them in the past. Anyway after months of not getting any money back, and her not paying her part of the rent, I moved out, and I gave her and the leasing office notice. Arrons is coming after me to pay for the tablet, I went back to the apartment as my name is still on the lease to get the tablet. I had to call a police officer as she locked me out. She told the police officer that she had left it at a friends house, and would return it to arrons the next day. That was over 2 weeks ago.

Now I have had to pay a payment to Arron's for the tablet or they would take me to court. and the leasing office is taking us both to court, as after I left she didn't pay anything towards the rent. I tried to call the police and they told me as for the tablet that is not theft but it is a civil matter.

What should I do, I was trying to be a good friend/person, and have gotten screwed. Now I am just trying to get out of these contracts with this girl, and get atleast some of my money back. PLEASE HELP ASAP!!

Thank you so much in advance.
You owe Arron's the money for the tablet and you owe the landlord rent through the end of the lease term (unless the landlord can find someone to lease the apartment before your lease term ends). Pay both the landlord and Arron's what you owe and then you can take your roommate to court and attempt to collect whatever you can show she owes you.

If you don't pay what you have legally obligated yourself to pay (by signing the lease, by purchasing the tablet) you can be/probably will be sued and you can/probably will lose the suit.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">