• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

procedural question mutli party litigation/ pro se/standing master

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

libra58

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey. Involved in suit that has been going for some time(years) from chancery..to appeals..now back in chancery. Some basic background: Suit involves a Civic assn. that by way of assignment has the right to collect a maint. fee from residents to maintain an easement for the residents use( not an HOA) Also involves another 2nd Assn. spurred/formed by a portion of the same development residents.I along with many others are not members of either assn. I am party to the suit by way of joinder along with every other homeowner. I along with a handful of other homeowners filed answers to the latest action ...and all defaults for those that did not answer, have been put aside pending this latest series of filings/motions. My answer was in time and filed. Initially I along with other pro se defendants were receiving discovery from both assn's ( pro se defendants have objections to various things that each assn is asking the court to grant in their favor) as any order /judgement will effect the title to their homes. Discovery suddenly ceased . The 2 assn's entered mediation which was a "confidential process" leaving pro se defendants in the dark. I contacted the court to inquire as to why pro se defendants were virtually left to getting information via "neighborhood chatter" and why pro se defendants were no longer receiving any form of discovery or notices for case management hearings..which there had been numerous prior to mediation. ( mediation was unsuccessful). ..I received a notice from the court that there would be a hearing/conference in Feb. Upon my arrival , I was told by 2 other pro se defendants that also rec'd notice..we were not permitted to enter the court room. Only Counsel for the 2 assn's were permitted in the courtroom, leaving the board members of each board and the pro se's that were present sitting in the hall. Upon the attorneys leaving the court room discussions occurred that i could hear stating that the case was assigned to a standing master, and that each assn "in grps of 4-5 ppl"( board members/counsel) would be appearing at sep. times before the standing master. So..now the question:confused:...What about the pro se defendants that filed answers?? Are our answers the only thing that will ever be presented to the court..do we not have any right to any opportunity to partake in this process with the standing master?? Thank-you in advance for any reply..much appreciated.:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">