• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Proof of service?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kcirtap64

In the sate of Michigan, do I have to have a proof of service when I am answering a complaint in District court? I was served a COMPLAINT from 90th District court. When I called the court and asked if I could fax my answer in to them, the told me yes and how to do that. My question is: Do I, and if so how, have to do a proof of service for this fax? I know I have to do a proof of service when I send my annswer to the Plaintiff. But I am not sure if I have to do one when I fax my answer in to the court.

You Are Guilty

In the sate of Michigan, do I have to have a proof of service when I am answering a complaint in District court? I was served a COMPLAINT from 90th District court. When I called the court and asked if I could fax my answer in to them, the told me yes and how to do that. My question is: Do I, and if so how, have to do a proof of service for this fax? I know I have to do a proof of service when I send my annswer to the Plaintiff. But I am not sure if I have to do one when I fax my answer in to the court.
You have to do one no matter how you serve it. The fax confirmation sheet attached to your affidavit of service should suffice though.

Incidentally, you have to serve your papers on both the court and all other parties - don't forget and leave somebody out!

Ronin

Ditto...

Courts will not generally accept any documents for filing that do not have a proof of service attached to it, where such service is required. A faxed Answer to a complaint with no proof of service may not be accepted for filing.

The proper method to to mail a copy to the plaintiff and all other parties the same day you file the documents in court, whether that be in person or by fax.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">