• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Proper Venue for Breach of Oral Contract/Quasi Contract Dispute?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jurisprudence

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I entered what I thought was an oral agreement with someone in New Jersey to perform services in California. There is a question whether we had an oral contract or I am seeking a remedy under a Quasi Contract. The other side believes he may have an action against me.

1. Is the proper venue for any action California, New Jersey or either one?
2. If venue is proper in both jurisdictions and we both file suit in which
State will the action be litigated?
3. Will it be determined by (1) who files the first lawsuit? or (2) Who serves
his/her lawsuit first?

Thank you.

Jurisprudence

tranquility: Thank You and a Clarification on "url" Cited, Please

tranquility,

Thank you for your prompt response. When I plugged one of your citations into my browser, "http://www.lawnix.com/cases/personal-jurisdiction.htm", I got a "cannot find the page response". Are you sure this is the correct url? If it is, and I still can't find it, could you provide some alternative means of finding it. Thank you very much.

tranquility

That's the correct URL, but I get the same error. Go to the 404 page you get and use the search function with the term "jurisdiction". (Without the quotes.)

The first page of the list is the one I was speaking of.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">