• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Publishing Advice on How to Do Illegal Acts, Illegal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hershon

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Would appreciate someone giving me advice on this as I totally do not understand what is the law on this. Specifically, I am thinking of writing a short guide book telling people things like how they can copy commercial DVD's by downloading a free program online (currently there is a chip on DVD recorders preventing this but there are software programs that bypass this) & how they can burn CD's from commercial music sites that only allow you to play on your computer, etc. This stuff is available on the web but takes hours of research to find, learn how to set up properly & use, etc. The bottom line is, if I tell people in writing how to do this stuff, am I guilty of any crime or liable to any civil action? I totally do not understand this at all and would appreciate someone explaining this too me. If there's any kind of downside, I won't pursue this because it won't be worth my while. Ethically, this doesn't bother me one bit though. Any help and advice is appreciated.

Veronica1228

Hershon said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

Would appreciate someone giving me advice on this as I totally do not understand what is the law on this. Specifically, I am thinking of writing a short guide book telling people things like how they can copy commercial DVD's by downloading a free program online (currently there is a chip on DVD recorders preventing this but there are software programs that bypass this) & how they can burn CD's from commercial music sites that only allow you to play on your computer, etc. This stuff is available on the web but takes hours of research to find, learn how to set up properly & use, etc. The bottom line is, if I tell people in writing how to do this stuff, am I guilty of any crime or liable to any civil action? I totally do not understand this at all and would appreciate someone explaining this too me. If there's any kind of downside, I won't pursue this because it won't be worth my while. Ethically, this doesn't bother me one bit though. Any help and advice is appreciated.
Duplicate thread.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=289030

Hershon

It duplicated because I Put it In the Wrong Area & Didn't Get An Answer!

Is there no rest for the wicked. I just wanted a simple answer to a simple question & I originally put this I think under the wrong area on the board. For this you have to tell the "teacher" or something.

Veronica1228

Hershon said:
Is there no rest for the wicked. I just wanted a simple answer to a simple question & I originally put this I think under the wrong area on the board. For this you have to tell the "teacher" or something.
I'm sorry if this offended you, but you DID in fact get answers on your other thread. I posted the duplicate thread message because it is best to keep all answers in one place to make it easier for someone else who may have a similar situation in the future to see what advice was given to you.

By the way, the authority on your type of situation on this forum is Divgradcurl who has already responded on your other thread. Posting this new duplicate thread would not have yielded you a better answer anyway. :rolleyes:

Hershon

If you read the responses carefully, I didn't really get any answers of anything that was remotely applicable which I partially aattribute to me posting it in the wrong section.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">