• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about being banned from a store

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

FloydAssault

What is the name of your state? Recently i was banned from a Circuit City Store in Kansas. I was banned just because the Store Manager doesn't like me. I did nothing wrong at all, (didn't steal or make any kind of public scene) and i am a former employee of the store. I was told if i went back the cops would be called. I need to know if it is legal for the Manager to make this kind of threat and ban me from a public store.

Mike

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

FloydAssault said:
What is the name of your state? Recently i was banned from a Circuit City Store in Kansas. I was banned just because the Store Manager doesn't like me. I did nothing wrong at all, (didn't steal or make any kind of public scene) and i am a former employee of the store. I was told if i went back the cops would be called. I need to know if it is legal for the Manager to make this kind of threat and ban me from a public store.

Mike
My response:

A store manager is hired for his/her management capabilities. As such, the manager is an agent of the owner (or, in this case, the corporation). A manager is given wide latitude within the policy of the owner's need for "order" and to make sure the business of the business is carried out. Since the manager is "speaking on behalf" of the owner or corporation, the manager has a right to make certain everyday decisions on behalf of such owners.

A store, like any business, is also "private property" and patrons, while encouraged to come into the store, do so at the pleasure of the owners, and in a fashion which meets the desires, needs, and business purpose of the store.

Therefore, a manager has the ability to decide who comes into the store, and who does not. With that ability, the manager is protected, like any property owner, by certain laws - - the least of which are "conduct" laws and "trespassing" laws.

The manager can, at his pleasure, allow or disallow whomever he or she chooses to come into the store. If you've been "tagged" as someone who is "undesirable", for whatever reason - - even if it's because of the color of your hair - - then you'll just have to live with that decision, or take your chances on arrest.

IAAL

I

immigrant

Re: Re: Question about being banned from a store

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:

The manager can, at his pleasure, allow or disallow whomever he or she chooses to come into the store. If you've been "tagged" as someone who is "undesirable", for whatever reason - - even if it's because of the color of your hair - - then you'll just have to live with that decision, or take your chances on arrest.

IAAL
But ban someone for being black and you'll be facing civil litigation!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">