• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about class action settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lonna841

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

I am a member of a class action lawsuit against my former undergraduate university. The lawsuit has reached settlement and payment is expected within the next week. My concern is that I have asked the "settlement auditor" what is my expected payment. I have been asking this question for almost a year now and each time I am not given an answer. According to the settlement documents graduates, which I am classified as, will receive 100% of out of pocket tuition paid excluding grants and scholarships. I have specifically asked are loans considered out of pocket tuition paid because they are neither grants or scholarships. Each time I am told to reference the settlement documents and never given a yes or no answer, furthermore the settlement documents have no mention of loans.

My question is do class action members have the right to know what their individual settlement amount will be (after legal fees) before payment is actually received, or are we to just wait for a check making it is too late to appeal? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

LonnaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Rexlan

Out of pocket expenses are funds you pay directly. Your settlement indicates that a reimbursement is due for tuition (only) which is offset by grants and scholarships.

Student loans come in so many flavors that it is hard to say if the loan was used for tuition, or if it was used for housing and meals, transportation, etc.. Additionally, it is hard to know if the loan was a form of grant, through a grant program and if it carried some type of forgiveness at a latter date.

If your loan was used exclusively to pay tuition and must be repaid by you then it should qualify if you can document that. However, if there is any muddy water in between then it probably will not. I suspect your question is too broad to get an answer from the auditor.

tranquility

While I agree with Rexlan, to the question:
My question is do class action members have the right to know what their individual settlement amount will be (after legal fees) before payment is actually received, or are we to just wait for a check making it is too late to appeal?
You don't have a right to appeal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">