• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question of law to someone smart about police expert witness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

United States District Court in California.

I am going to be hiring a retired police officer in California for the purposes of testifying as an expert witness on police policy and procedure for my lawsuit in federal court. He has extensive back ground experience and training in various forms of lawenforcement and has testified numerous times in both criminal and civil court before. But he has only testified in California Superior Court in criminal and civil cases. He has never testified in federal court. When asked, he assured me that he could testify as an expert in Federal court. But I was just wondering if there is any reason why such an expert witness could not testify in a federal civil court, but could testify in California civil court. Aren't the qualifications generally the same?

Any advice on this subject before I fork over the cash would be appreciated.

Thank You

HomeGuru

United States District Court in California.

I am going to be hiring a retired police officer in California for the purposes of testifying as an expert witness on police policy and procedure for my lawsuit in federal court. He has extensive back ground experience and training in various forms of lawenforcement and has testified numerous times in both criminal and civil court before. But he has only testified in California Superior Court in criminal and civil cases. He has never testified in federal court. When asked, he assured me that he could testify as an expert in Federal court. But I was just wondering if there is any reason why such an expert witness could not testify in a federal civil court, but could testify in California civil court. Aren't the qualifications generally the same?

Any advice on this subject before I fork over the cash would be appreciated.

Thank You
**A: the qualifications should be generally the same. Compare the rules of civil procedure regarding expert witnesses state v. federal.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
https://forum.freeadvice.com/arrests-searches-warrants-procedure-26/question-cdwjava-other-officer-about-police-procedure-573373.html

There is nothing illegal about the officer standing in the middle of the road to pull you over or about him having you back up on the road to come back to him.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/arrests-searches-warrants-procedure-26/question-cdwjava-other-officer-about-police-procedure-573373.html

There is nothing illegal about the officer standing in the middle of the road to pull you over or about him having you back up on the road to come back to him.
I would not agree in all situations. On an Interstate? That would be reckless for sure. Does he dart out? That would be reckless.

So it would depend on the individual set of facts. Such broad statements are almost always incorrect.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would not agree in all situations. On an Interstate? That would be reckless for sure. Does he dart out? That would be reckless.

So it would depend on the individual set of facts. Such broad statements are almost always incorrect.
Again, it is not ILLEGAL.

Wrongagain strikes again!

HomeGuru

**A: is this thread pertaining to the post you provided the link to? I did not know that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">