• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received notice of entry of judgement, but was never served or notified of court date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Scarlette

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

In the mail today, I received a "Notice of entry of Judgement" from the state of Wisconsin circuit court. I didn't know I was being sued or that there was a court date! How can there be a judgement entered against me when I wasn't notified? I haven't moved around and the letter was sent to my correct, current address. I have worked at the same job for 2 years. I don't understand how this judgement could be entered against me without my having the opportunity to defend myself.

In this letter, there is a financial disclosure statement and a blurb stating that if I don't pay in full or fill it out and return it to "the person that sued me" within 15 days, there could be a contempt of court charge placed against me, which could lead to my arrest and/or garnishment of wages etc.

Do I owe money? Yes, but not nearly for the amount of the judgement. I moved out of an apartment a month early. I do agree that I owe them the balance of the final month's rent, which is $500. They, rightly so, kept my security deposit. The apartment was left in great condition, and I wouldn't have received any significant deductions from my security deposit had I moved out at the end of my lease instead of a month early.

If it comes to garnishing my wages, are all of my earnings at stake? I make 9.50 an hour plus commission, which means my checks vary quite a bit and my company is talking about going 100% commission. How does garnishment work when the majority of the debtor's income is from commission?

Thank you so much for reading this, I look forward to hearing from any and all.

seniorjudge

1. Pay your bill.

2. Go to the courthouse or check online to see if there really is a judgment against you.

3. If there is a judgment, file a motion to set aside the default judgment. (Google.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">