• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received a Subpoena

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

helpwiththelaw

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I received a subpoena to bring written documents that I have from communications with myself and another party. I never saved any of those communications (emails or letters). The subpoena states I have to go to a certain place at a certain time to drop off the documents. I checked and rechecked and I have no documents to drop off. Do I still have to go to the place at that specified time? If I have no documents would it not be a waste of my time to go? Also, (as irrelevant as this is) this place is in a very dangerous area (a block from MacArthur Park). Or if I do not go, will it be seen as me ignoring the subpoena? What shall I do?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I received a subpoena to bring written documents that I have from communications with myself and another party. I never saved any of those communications (emails or letters). The subpoena states I have to go to a certain place at a certain time to drop off the documents. I checked and rechecked and I have no documents to drop off. Do I still have to go to the place at that specified time? If I have no documents would it not be a waste of my time to go? Also, (as irrelevant as this is) this place is in a very dangerous area (a block from MacArthur Park). Or if I do not go, will it be seen as me ignoring the subpoena? What shall I do?
If you received a subpoena for documents only, instead of a subpoena to attend and testify (and bring with you certain documents), then you should contact the party that sent you the subpoena and ask them if you can mail them your response to the subpoena. Then simply mail them a response that says that you have no documents responsive to the request.

If the subpoena is to attend and testify (and bring with you certain documents), then you have to go there and tell them in person that you have no documents responsive to the request.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">