• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is repair shop liable for items stolen from car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregor1234

What is the name of your state? Delaware

Cars are in a body shop yard awaiting repair. It it protected by barbed wire-topped fences and a formidable guard dog. Despite these precautions, the several cars in the yard are broken into and several items are stolen including 1) stereos installed in these cars and 2) personal property left in the passenger compartments and trunks of these cars by their owners. Is the repair shop owner liable for any of these losses even though he took reasonable precautions to safguard the autos in his care?

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

What did the repair shop owner do (if anything) that would make him liable?

badapple40

This looks like a bailment, at the very least for the automobiles. But not a bailment for the contents of the vehicle, unless the repair shop owner knew or should have known about the contents and agreed to safekeep them as well.

A bailment for compensation creates strict liability. The issue is whether or not the repair shop owner knew or should have known about the contents and agreed to safekeep them as well and whether the owner agreed to safekeep the contents of the car as well.

The damage to the vehicles for the break in, however, creates strict liability in bailment, for which the repair shop owner is liable.

As far as the personal property that was stolen out of the car, You may want to check your estimate or visit the repair shop. They may have a disclaimer posted stating that they are not responsible for items left in the vehicle.

gregor1234

Thank you for your replies. But I have more questions…

I understand Badapple's reply regarding creation of a bailment. Badapple would probably assert that the owner should accept responsibility for the cars themselves and the installed stereos since these are actually part of the vehicles and such stereos are expected in most any vehicle. Responsibility for the contents would be limited.

BUT… consider the position implied by Seniorjudge's question… The repair shop owner did take special care to safeguard the vehicles by using barbed wire fences and a guard dog.

Does what Badapple calls a "strict bailment" outweigh the care that the repair shop owner took?

Can the precautions taken by the repair shop owner be considered reasonably sufficient since they were de facto insufficient?

Now it turns out that the robbery may have been perpetrated by an employee of the repair shop. Is it the responsibility of the owner to take care that new employees are not likely to rob shop patrons?

In my business I deal with documents. If a customer gives me his document to complete a project, I would feel responsible for replacing them if they were lost in a flood, fire or to vandals, even though I put them in a safe with a burglar alarm and security patrol in a fireproof building above the 100-year flood plain (which I do).

On the other hand a court might find that the cautions I had taken to prevent loss of those document were all that anyone could be expected to do and so exonerate me from any responsibility.

And finally I understand there is something called a claim of tort? As far as my limited understanding goes this very nearly means that someone has to pay so "you're it" cause you were holding the bag. Would this apply to the repair shop? I realize I probably don't understand this very well so any explanations would be welcome.

Can anyone out there tackle these questions and make this clearer for me?

badapple40

gregor1234 said:
Thank you for your replies. But I have more questions…

I understand Badapple's reply regarding creation of a bailment. Badapple would probably assert that the owner should accept responsibility for the cars themselves and the installed stereos since these are actually part of the vehicles and such stereos are expected in most any vehicle. Responsibility for the contents would be limited.

BUT… consider the position implied by Seniorjudge's question… The repair shop owner did take special care to safeguard the vehicles by using barbed wire fences and a guard dog.

Does what Badapple calls a "strict bailment" outweigh the care that the repair shop owner took? YES

Can the precautions taken by the repair shop owner be considered reasonably sufficient since they were de facto insufficient?

They can be "sufficient" to withstand negligence claims, but he is still liable under strict liability.

Now it turns out that the robbery may have been perpetrated by an employee of the repair shop. Is it the responsibility of the owner to take care that new employees are not likely to rob shop patrons?

There are negligent hiring claims that can be brought, particularly if this employee has a past record of theft/dishonesty. Again, strict liability is best, it doesn't require any proof of fault on the part of the garage owner.

In my business I deal with documents. If a customer gives me his document to complete a project, I would feel responsible for replacing them if they were lost in a flood, fire or to vandals, even though I put them in a safe with a burglar alarm and security patrol in a fireproof building above the 100-year flood plain (which I do).

On the other hand a court might find that the cautions I had taken to prevent loss of those document were all that anyone could be expected to do and so exonerate me from any responsibility.

It doesn't matter, your being entrusted with the documents for safekeeping, for which you are compensated, creates strict liability, no matter how safe you are.

And finally I understand there is something called a claim of tort? As far as my limited understanding goes this very nearly means that someone has to pay so "you're it" cause you were holding the bag. Would this apply to the repair shop? I realize I probably don't understand this very well so any explanations would be welcome.

Torts/negligence is a broad subset of law, sort of like contract law, criminal law. Strict liability in bailment is the legal theory you proceed under, other theories could be negligent security, negligent hiring, etc.

Can anyone out there tackle these questions and make this clearer for me?
Strict liability is just that, strict. It does not matter how much care is taken. It would not matter if you encased the cars in cement garages with security set up like fort knox. It just matters that the car was kept by the lot owner, he was paid for keeping the car/repairing it, and as a result, damage occurred. Sucks, don't it?

Strict liability doesn't arrise in many circumstances. Playing with explosives and other dangerous instrumentalities, keeping wild animals, product liability, and, bailments for hire.

And its not an acceptance of responsibility. By taking possession of the cars, for repair, and for profit, the garage owner takes on the legal burden of strict liability as a result of the bailment for hire.

Taking caution and being reasonable deal with negligence. Negligence is a higher standard to meet than strict liability.

As for the stereos, those I would say is covered as part of the automobile, as opposed to the contents, and are covered by the bailment.

With all due respect to seniorjudge, I doubt he thought of the bailment angle. Every attorney approaches problems differently. Most lawyers think negligence and intentional torts, and forget about the strict liability angle. He is, of course, correct if you are proceeding to recover under a negligence theory, you need to prove fault. Strict liability, however, requires no showing of fault.

S

seniorjudge

"With all due respect to seniorjudge, I doubt he thought of the bailment angle."

Actually, if you will read my post, all I did was ask a question, wanting to develop the facts.

You got ESP...I got ESPN. That's diversity fer ya!

badapple40

seniorjudge said:
"With all due respect to seniorjudge, I doubt he thought of the bailment angle."

Actually, if you will read my post, all I did was ask a question, wanting to develop the facts.

You got ESP...I got ESPN. That's diversity fer ya!
Point taken, I stand corrected -- twice by you now.

gregor1234

I would like to thank the respondees for their insights. I now understand the in's and out's of the problem much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">