• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

request for trial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oracle117

california

this might be too technical for here, but maybe someone can help.

in california. if you are requesting to vacate a settlement (664.5)and assuming that it is granted, you want a trial on merits as originally planned prior to the settlement that we are assuming will be vacated for cause. do you ask for the trial in a motion under what ccp since there never was a first trial? i see places where you ask after there has been a trial, but what if there was not one?

I have a feeling I am asking to be attacked here...ala theme from jaws...but if anyone really knows, please help....it would be greatly appreciated.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

oracle117 said:
california

this might be too technical for here, but maybe someone can help.

in california. if you are requesting to vacate a settlement (664.5)and assuming that it is granted, you want a trial on merits as originally planned prior to the settlement that we are assuming will be vacated for cause. do you ask for the trial in a motion under what ccp since there never was a first trial? i see places where you ask after there has been a trial, but what if there was not one?

I have a feeling I am asking to be attacked here...ala theme from jaws...but if anyone really knows, please help....it would be greatly appreciated.

My response:

CCP 664.5 has nothing to do with settlements. Settlements are "contractual" and not judicial. Therefore, you need to have grounds for rescinding the "contract"; e.g., intrinsic or extrinsic fraud, lack of capacity, failure of consideration, etc.

What are your grounds?

IAAL

oracle117

Clarification

california

Assuming the settlement is vacated for cause and there never was a trial due to the settlement. What are you asking for if you want the trial you never had? It's not a new trial because there never was an old trial. You want the trial to be put on the calendar now that the settlement has been vacated.

What are you asking for? Do you file a motion to ask that it be placed on calendar? Does the judge do it if requested? Or if the settlement is vacated do you need to file the case all over?

Thanks

help before the am is greatly appreciated.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

What is the nature of the underlying action; i.e., What's your bitch? Was it "contract", was it an "auto accident"? What was it?

The real question then, becomes, are you still within the Statute of Limitations to bring your action?

IAAL

oracle117

more information

california

the bitch is a personal injury civil case. the settlement was grossly inadequate, fraud, failure to consider. the case was filed in March 2003. if the settlement is vacated 11/19/2004, do you ask for the trial to be put back on the calendar or dismissal without prejudice and then refile? or is it too late for that? i need to know what to ask for.

thanks IAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">