• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restraining order coninuance, representing myself

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

canntri

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I had a hearing this morning for a restraining order. The defendant hired a lawyer and they were granted a continuation. I am representing myself. I had to quit my job because of my former employer's actions, then he persistently emailed. I cancelled my email and within 24 hours had another email in my new account, which I had not given him. I finally blocked his email and said if I received any contact from him I would get a restraining order (this was approx. April 2008). Two weeks later I received an envelope of recommendation letters (using my married name-I am now divorced, he knows this would not be the name I would apply with). He had an employee address it so his handwriting was not on it. I did not respond in any way. Then no contact for awhile. In July I saw him drive past my housing complex and a week later I received his will in the mail and his request that "I just hang on to it". Because I requested "no contact" several times and also warned him a restraining order would ensue I filed the papers. I cannot afford to hire representation and am wondering what I should do? I have all of his emails and my responses printed out. I have some letters, poems, and his will also in my possession. I want to know the best way to submit this to the courts, effectively. Also, anything else I might do to ensure success at the next hearing. There were many more pre-cursors to this situation than emails.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

canntri

thanks!

I guess that's easy enough advice. I feel I have a strong case to win. I guess I'm just nervous, I've never been to court before. I feel like they'll get me on some technicality because the lawyer will know all the loopholes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">