• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retail Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jluttrell

What is the name of your state? Michigan

In august of 2002 I was arrested for Retail fraud. I went to court, plead guilty and payed my fines as a criminal offense. Now, almost 3 years later, the store where I was arrested at is charging me with a civil offense (which if I understand correctly, they are allowed to do in a retail fraud case). My concern is that it is almost 3 years later and they send me a letter saying I have 10 days to pay them $475. $200 of that is for the crime and the rest is legal fees. When I called the attorneys, they said they could make it $300 if I payed in one lump sum. My question is how can they just change the amount if it is a set sum and how long does a corporation have to file a civil charge on an individual?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">