• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Revenge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigd43606

What is the name of your state? OH

I own an apartment building and in this building is a room where all the tennants have little linen type closets for storage. There has been a rash of people sneeking in the building and breaking into them. I have told my tennants in the past that I will not accept resposibility for anything left in there as they are not well designed for security. I have lost a buch of junk I threw in mine. (I live in the building) I never keep anything in there I care about, but I would like to booby trap mine. I have tried hard to catch these *******s, but all efforts have failed. I was thinking of something like a can of mace that is triggered when the door of my personal storage is opened. Assuming the person has to phyically break into a locked door, how much trouble can I get into by doing something like this. Is there a way to lower my liability, but still teach them a lesson?

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? OH

I own an apartment building and in this building is a room where all the tennants have little linen type closets for storage. There has been a rash of people sneeking in the building and breaking into them. I have told my tennants in the past that I will not accept resposibility for anything left in there as they are not well designed for security. I have lost a buch of junk I threw in mine. (I live in the building) I never keep anything in there I care about, but I would like to booby trap mine. I have tried hard to catch these *******s, but all efforts have failed. I was thinking of something like a can of mace that is triggered when the door of my personal storage is opened. Assuming the person has to phyically break into a locked door, how much trouble can I get into by doing something like this. Is there a way to lower my liability, but still teach them a lesson?
a hell of a lot of trouble if you consider a civil suit for damages trouble.

Install a camera and be done with it.

bigd43606

More questions

I thought that is what I would hear, a camera is just not possible at this time. Eventually maybe. Here is another question, suppose I did do this and got sued. That person would have to admit in court that the he/she is guilty of breaking and entering. Could I then press charges, with that information? We live in an interesting world where people can sue you for injuries obtained in commiting a crime against you. What a world we live in. :confused:

How about if this person hurt themselve on something they stole? Like drinking out of a bottle of liquor that had four shots of liquor and four shots of urine in it? "I didn't know they were going to steal it I just had it in there waiting to be disposed of your honor, I had to use the bathroom and my door was locked" :D :D :D

BelizeBreeze

I thought that is what I would hear, a camera is just not possible at this time. Eventually maybe. Here is another question, suppose I did do this and got sued. That person would have to admit in court that the he/she is guilty of breaking and entering. Could I then press charges, with that information? We live in an interesting world where people can sue you for injuries obtained in commiting a crime against you. What a world we live in. :confused:

How about if this person hurt themselve on something they stole? Like drinking out of a bottle of liquor that had four shots of liquor and four shots of urine in it? "I didn't know they were going to steal it I just had it in there waiting to be disposed of your honor, I had to use the bathroom and my door was locked" :D :D :D
No attorney with any morals is going to give you the go-ahead for this crap.

tranquility

This is a classic issue. In all the cases in the criminal law course, the trap is a deadly one, but the principle is the same. You will probably be commiting a crime and will also commit a tort by setting up a trap of some sort which will cause bodily injury. Period. Don't dream, don't think, don't set up your bobby trap or you may go to jail. Even if you are successful against a buglar.

Rexlan

I agree with BB and TQ.

You can buy a baby monitor or a computer web cam for next to nothing and record it directly into the computer or a VHS. I would guess less than $100. Have everyone chip in $10.

Catch them in the act and then you get them prosecuted for FREE!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">